Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WOL behind Cisco 1751

How I can remotely switch-on my computer. I am using Cisco 1751 Router. And my computer is behind this Router.

7 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: WOL behind Cisco 1751

Do you want to login to the computer from remote location or switch-on the pc fromj a remote location?. Clarify your requirement based on your exact request, then I can provide you a more precise reply. Also,give me a brief overview on your network setup.

I want to switch-on the PC from a remote location.

I have small network of 2 PC`s at 2 diffirent locations. At both the places I am using Cisco 1751 routers.

Chopra,

What you need is Wake on LAN.

Here are some guidelines.

http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wakeonlan/mini-howto/wol-mini-howto-2.html#ss2.1

If I want to switch-on my computer from LAN then it is working fine. But if I want to switch-on from a remote location then somtimes it work and somtimes it does not work.

Is there any way that I can TELNET it from a CISCO Router-1751 (which is before my computer)? So that it can simulate like a local command.

Chopra,

What program are you using to do WOL ? WOL uses UDP broadcasts and if you are on a remote site separated by routers, your router could be blocking this broadcast. I would suggest adding

ip helper-address command on the remote router, as well as add a "ip forward-protocol udp " to forward the appropriate port used by the application.

Hi Shanky

I am using "SOLAR WIND" programme to send magic packets.

I want to know what is "ip helper-address"

You might find this funny..but check this link.

http://www.routergod.com/trinity/

PS: Please rate the post if you find it helpful!

Views
Helpful
Replies