cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Write / Erase(ing) home lab connected to a 2509 access server question

David Anderson
Level 1
Level 1

Having trouble finding an answer to this and hoping some more experienced home labsters can answer this.

I just cabled up all my home lab routers and switches to a 2509 access server after doing a write / erase on them, and it just occurred to me that I have to manually open each line for the connection to be established. Is there any way to keep the connection through a write erase, or will I literally have to manually console into each device every time I build a lab from scratch?

It's not that big of a deal to run through a manual set up once per lab from scratch, but if I can avoid it that would be outstanding.

Thanks for an info and suggestions!

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

David

I find your question to be a bit confusing. Let me offer this as a possible answer to what I believe the question is. If I miss the mark then perhaps you can provide some clarification about the question.

First, I am not sure whether you are describing doing a write erase on devices and then connecting them to your 2509 or whether you are connecting them to the 2509, accessing them from the 2509 async ports, and then doing the write erase. So let me deal with both possibilities.

If you have done write erase before connecting the devices to the 2509 then you would have to manually start each connection from 2509 to device console and then would have access to build new configurations.

If you have connected the devices to the 2509 and started a session from the 2509 to the device console, then performed the write erase (and reload), then your console session would remain active when the device came back up and could then start building a new configuration. You would not need to restart the console connection and it would survive the write erase/reload.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

That actually answered my question, and a great follow up, thanks so much for the help!

David

I am glad that my answer was helpful. Thank you for the rating.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card