Views
Helpful
Replies

Wrong upgrade to 2960

smafro1978
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I have a problem with a Cisco switch 2960.

i have made upgrade to a 2960 switch, and something goes wrong. Now on the switch panel only stat led blinks and i cannot acces it,

neither with console. I reset the switch but nothing change.

Please help.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bhishma Khanna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

If the IOS loaded is wrong then the switch would continuously reboot. (And that is why we are unable to access it)

In this case just press the MODE button so that we may stop continuous reboot of switch and send it to ROMMON mode.

Now, we have two options to recover the switch:

1. If the correct image or the old image is still in flash of switch then boot the switch with that image.

2. If no image is present now in the switch flash then we have to do XMODEM recovery of switch.

Here is a documnent for the XMODEM recovery:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml

Steps are:

1. Open a hyperterminal

2. switch: copy xmodem: flash:

3. From the top of the HyperTerminal window, choose

Transfer                 > Send File

4.Choose the Xmodem protocol in the Send File                 dialog box and click  Browse in order to select the Cisco IOS                 image (.bin file) that you downloaded previously.

5.Click Send in order to begin the Xmodem                 transfer.

Boot the new image that you just copied over with the Xmodem             procedure.

Issue the boot             flash:filename command, as this example             shows:

switch: boot flash:c2955-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin
Loading "flash:c2955-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin"...###############################
################################################################################

!--- Output suppressed.

Press RETURN to get started!
Switch>

Thanks.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

david-swope
Level 1
Level 1

Give us some background on this situation. Can we assume this was a production switch that was working until you upgraded the IOS?

Sounds like this is a standalone 2960 yes? Give us more information about the process you took to get to where we are now. Do you have console access to the switch?

Let us know, did you happen to leave the old IOS in flash? I'm guessing not as it is not booting..might have to do a recovery, easy steps for you here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Console into the switch and reboot the switch. Post the entire bootup process.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Wii App

Hi.

I manage to conect to the switch with console and i get this message :

Using driver version 1 for media type 1

Base ethernet MAC Address: 20:3a:07:c1:85:80

Xmodem file system is available.

The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.

Initializing Flash...

mifs[2]: 0 files, 1 directories

mifs[2]: Total bytes     :   3870720

mifs[2]: Bytes used     :       1024

mifs[2]: Bytes available :   3869696

mifs[2]: mifs fsck took 0 seconds.

mifs[3]: 0 files, 1 directories

mifs[3]: Total bytes     :   27998208

mifs[3]: Bytes used     :       1024

mifs[3]: Bytes available :   27997184

mifs[3]: mifs fsck took 1 seconds.

...done Initializing Flash.

done.

Loading "flash:/c2960-lanlitek9-mz.122-55.SE5/c2960-lanlitek9-mz.122-55.SE5.bin"...flash:/c2960-lanlitek9-mz.122-55.SE5/c2960-lanlitek9-mz.122-55.SE5.bin: no such file or directory

Error loading "flash:/c2960-lanlitek9-mz.122-55.SE5/c2960-lanlitek9-mz.122-55.SE5.bin"

Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process.

Boot process failed...

The system is unable to boot automatically. The BOOT

environment variable needs to be set to a bootable

image.

switch:

Please tell me how can i copy the image to the switch.

Thank you

Loading "flash:/c2960-lanlitek9-mz.122-55.SE5/c2960-lanlitek9-mz.122-55.SE5.bin"...flash:/c2960-lanlitek9-mz.122-55.SE5/c2960-lanlitek9-mz.122-55.SE5.bin: no such file or directory

Someone loaded the wrong IOS. 

Check to make sure the old and correct IOS is not there. 

flash_init

dir flash:

Post the output to the command "dir flash:".

If it's not there, then go here:  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bfac.shtml

Bhishma Khanna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

If the IOS loaded is wrong then the switch would continuously reboot. (And that is why we are unable to access it)

In this case just press the MODE button so that we may stop continuous reboot of switch and send it to ROMMON mode.

Now, we have two options to recover the switch:

1. If the correct image or the old image is still in flash of switch then boot the switch with that image.

2. If no image is present now in the switch flash then we have to do XMODEM recovery of switch.

Here is a documnent for the XMODEM recovery:

Steps are:

1. Open a hyperterminal

2. switch: copy xmodem: flash:

3. From the top of the HyperTerminal window, choose

Transfer                 > Send File

4.Choose the Xmodem protocol in the Send File                 dialog box and click  Browse in order to select the Cisco IOS                 image (.bin file) that you downloaded previously.

5.Click Send in order to begin the Xmodem                 transfer.

Boot the new image that you just copied over with the Xmodem             procedure.

Issue the boot             flash:filename command, as this example             shows:

switch: boot flash:c2955-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin
Loading "flash:c2955-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin"...###############################
################################################################################

!--- Output suppressed.

Press RETURN to get started!
Switch>

Thanks.

Thnak you all. It was very helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card