cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N routing to a URL back onto itself

mclinehan
Level 1
Level 1

I have an iPad that uses an app to control the house. I create a dyndns url to maintain connection to the house from the outside world. When I bring the iPad onto the internal network, the url routing fails. Externally, it works fine. I think it's some sort of protection that is configured within the router.

Is anyone familiar with a proper configuration to allow the URL to kind of loop back onto itself, when it's in the house?

Does anyone know where, in the configuration, this is set to prevent this kind of routing?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

1 Reply 1

pastorgeorge
Level 1
Level 1

After many hours trying to figure this out myself, I'm afraid that the WRVS4400N does not seem to support loopback connections. (i.e. if you type in your 'mydomain.dyndns.org' which is assigned to your external ip, it'll time out.)

...a giant drawback for a network with server that provides external services, because you can access your machine locally via ip or bonjour, but externally via the dyndns host. Makes it impossible to setup things like calDAV or cardDAV services that work on and off the network.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card