Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C3850-24P-S

renantamin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I need your expertise. I would like to know if this WS-C3850-24P-S  is capable for Wireless  because i want to deploy atleast 10 wifi to control. And also what is the best buy IP Base or IP Services

WS-C3850-24P-S        IP BASE       

WS-C3850-24P-E       IP SERVICES

Thanks, 

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

All 3650/3850 switches have the wireless controller built-in.  It's just the question of what license is enabled (Command:  sh license).

So i need to buy also the license for Wireless controller or its default if you buy 3850 ?

An access point license is required for Cisco Catalyst 3850 operating in mobility controller mode. No access point license is required for 3850 operating in mobility agent mode.

Mobility agent (MA): This is the default mode in which a Cisco Catalyst 3850 switch ships. In this mode the switch is capable of terminating the CAPWAP tunnels from the access points and providing wireless connectivity to wireless clients. Maintaining wireless client databases and configuring and enforcing security and QoS policies for wireless clients and access points can be enforced in this mode. No additional license on top of IP Base is required to operate in the mobility agent mode.

Mobility controller (MC): In this mode, the Cisco Catalyst 3850 switch can perform all the mobility agent tasks in addition to mobility coordination, radio resource management (RRM), and Cisco CleanAir® coordination within a mobility subdomain. The mobility controller mode can be enabled on the switch CLI. IP Base license level is required when the Cisco Catalyst 3850 switch is acting as the mobility controller. A centrally located Cisco 5508 Wireless LAN Controller (WLC 5508), Cisco Wireless Services Module 2 (WiSM2) (when running AireOS Version 7.3), and Wireless LAN Controller 5760 can also perform this role for larger deployments.

IP Base: Enterprise access layer 3 switching features

IP Services: Advanced enterprise layer 3 switching (IPv4 and IPv6) features

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-720918.html

Hopefully that helps. Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: