Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-X6582-2PA module

sam_manay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,
Once we use WAN Module WS-X6582-2PA, this can function as a router to connect to ISP cloud?
(So, We no need to use a router?)
Many Thanks in advance

Regards,
sams

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

sam_manay wrote:

Hi All,
Once we use WAN Module WS-X6582-2PA, this can function as a router to connect to ISP cloud?
(So, We no need to use a router?)
Many Thanks in advance

Regards,
sams

Sams

Not sure i understand. This modules goes into a 6500/7600 device and these devices are L3 devices anyway so even without the module they would still be routers. The module primarily gives you the ability to terminate different media types into a 6500/7600 chassis.

Jon

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sams,

you can avoid to use a dedicated router to terminate WAN links like E3 T3 up to STM-1 POS reusing port adapters that are in common with C7200 and C7500.

Be aware that some restrictions may apply for example to how you can implement PPP multilink over E1 links (confined to single PA)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giusspe,

You meant, I can use That module instead of dedicated router?

Any consideration of perfomance using WAN module compare to dedicated Router?

The link will be going to ISP cloud by using ATM + MPLS. Can the module handle it well?

Again many thanks for all feedback.

Note:

-I will be using Cat 6513

Regards,

sams

Hello Sams,

performance are in line with those of routers using the same PAs no performance gain or penalty.

note that there are two versions of the linecard the Enhanced flexwan is better. yours should be an enhanced flexwan.

see datasheet

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_data_sheet09186a00801df1d9.html

it should support MPLS framed mode over ATM ( I suppose no support of MPLS  over ATM cell mode using LVCs)

post a sh module of the device

IOS image has some requirements as well

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card