cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

X6704+DFC3C temperatures

Iulian Vaideanu
Level 4
Level 4

Last night we replaced (in slot 1 of a 7606-S / RSP720-3C / 12.2(33)SRE9 router) an X6704+CFC combo with another X6704 equipped with DFC3C.  Some 15 minutes after insertion the EARL temperatures on the module crossed the minor alarm thresholds and now (~12 hours later) here's the situation:

module 1:

module 1 power-output-fail: OK

module 1 outlet temperature: 47C

module 1 inlet temperature: 49C

module 1 EARL outlet temperature: 70C

module 1 EARL inlet temperature: 64C

There are 21 degrees Celsius in that datacenter, nothing blocks air intake to any slot, and only one other temperature on all other cards (X6724 in slots 2 and 3, RSP720 in slots 5 and 6) exceeds 40 degrees.  It's also weird that the intake air to the module is warmer than the exhaust...

I don't know the temperatures before the replacement, but I know that the old X6704+CFC combo had been working in the same slot with no alarms, and the new X6704 had been in production in a SUP720-based C6503 with CFC and no alarms.

Could the hardware versions of the cards be relevant for sensor data accuracy?  The X6704 that was replaced was rev. 3.1 (manufactured in 2010), while the replacement X6704 is rev. 1.2 (manufactured in 2003).  Or is it possible that a mistake was made when mounting the DFC, that could lead to these readings?

2 Replies 2

Iulian Vaideanu
Level 4
Level 4

Two days ago module 1 got shut down because of the EARL inlet temperature exceeding the major alarm threshold, so this needs further investigation.  Does anyone know the exact location of the inlet temperature sensors on X6704-10G, DFC3C (which is where I assume the EARL chip is located) and X6724-SFP?  I'm asking this because there seems to be too big a difference between values reported for module 1 and modules 2 and 3:

module 1 inlet temperature: 61C

module 1 EARL inlet temperature: 71C

module 2 inlet temperature: 38C

module 3 inlet temperature: 29C

Thank you.

Any insight on those inlet sensors' location on the card?  Now I'm seing this:

module 1 outlet temperature: 48C
  module 1 inlet temperature: 59C

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card