Views
Helpful
Replies

ftp over http authentication

borutlape
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have problem opening FTP sites that require authentication.

When I try to open a ftp site, example ftp://site.com, I get this message in the browser :

Authentication is required by the FTP server ( ftpserver.com ). A valid user ID and password must be entered when prompted.

In some cases, the FTP server may limit the number of anonymous connections. If you usually connect to this server as an anonymous user, please try again later.

But I didn't receive authentication prompt at all

I think we didn't have issues with the previous versions...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Illsley
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

You shouldbe able to login:

ftp://username:password@ftpsite.com

Thanks

Chris

Edit: It's an IE thing, FireFox should work.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Chris Illsley
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

You shouldbe able to login:

ftp://username:password@ftpsite.com

Thanks

Chris

Edit: It's an IE thing, FireFox should work.

Thanx, it worked

Still I don't get why I don;t get the authentication propmt.

Are you using IE by chance?  If yes, try accessing the FTP server using a different browser.  IE has a known issue that such that it doesn't prompt end users to enter FTP server credentials when the user goes through any proxy (not just the WSA).  We just decided to add this to the WSA release notes as a "known issue" with the different workarounds listed. You'll see it in the next version of the 7.5 release notes when that comes out someday.  Here's what the bug write-up will say:

Defect ID 5463

Users cannot access FTP servers that require server authentication using FTP over HTTP with Internet Explorer. This is a known issue with Internet Explorer when communicating with web proxies. This is due to Internet Explorer never prompting users to enter the server authentication credentials.
Workaround: To access FTP servers that require server authentication, use one of the following workarounds:
Use a different browser, such as FireFox or Chrome, to access the FTP server.
Use an FTP client that uses native FTP to access the FTP server.
If users must use Internet Explorer, they can prepend the username and password into the URL. For example: ftp://USERNAME:PASSWORD@ftp.example.comPASSWORD@ftp.example.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: