cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

iPad's and a IronPort Proxy.

spm
Level 1
Level 1

So we've started handing out iPad's to our users.  I've been able to setup them up to access our wireless network in a secure manner.  My next problem is with getting them to use our web proxies. 

We have a pair of S170's that we are using.  When I configure the HTTP Proxy settings under the wireless network on the iPad I'm getting some weird behavior.  For instance, if I type in www.cisco.com Safari changes the url to https://www.cisco.com:8443. ; If I leave the proxy settings off I get a message saying Safari cannot open the page.  It doesn't even prompt me for user credentials like it would on a PC.

I'm sure other people have run into this.  Has anyone found a work around?  I've been searching the forums and from what I've found the general consensus is that iPad's are just not enterprise friendly.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Enda McGahern
Level 1
Level 1

Im afraid if you want to put iPads through a proxy, put the proxy in transparent mode as the Apps are not proxy aware and its not a great browsing experience in explicit mode. 

Apple do not provide great direction on this. In my view iPads are not enterprise ready......and Apple almost want you to build your infrastructure around making them work, not the other way around.

Hope this helps.

Enda

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Enda McGahern
Level 1
Level 1

Im afraid if you want to put iPads through a proxy, put the proxy in transparent mode as the Apps are not proxy aware and its not a great browsing experience in explicit mode. 

Apple do not provide great direction on this. In my view iPads are not enterprise ready......and Apple almost want you to build your infrastructure around making them work, not the other way around.

Hope this helps.

Enda

spm
Level 1
Level 1

That pretty much confirms what I've been seeing.  Thanks for the replyl.