cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L4 Configuration

phretbuzz
Level 1
Level 1

How do you physically configure a network tap on the Ironport? I'm not sure what they are referring to... I'm hoping they are not talking about a pass through fromt he inside firewall to the switch.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In order to make my example clear, I'm going to make the following assumptions:

You're talking about the Layer 4 Traffice Monitor (aka L4TM)

Firewall inside interface, the WSA P1 interface and the WSA T1 interface plugged into the same swtich, on the same VLAN. 

Firewall inside on gig1/1

WSA P1 on gig1/5

WSA T1 on gig1/10

(Optional WSA T2 on gig1/11)

If you feel that one interface on the WSA will get overloaded, set the L4TM config in Network/Interfaces for simplex. Then connect the WSA T2 port to the swtich (say gig1/11), and do an egress span from gig1/1 to gig1/10 and ingress span from gig1/1 to gig1/11.

If its all connected to a HUB, the use DUPLEX on the WSA L4TM config and just hook up T1...

Or you can use an actual tap, that you put in-line like this:  http://www.netoptics.com/products/network-taps/101001000baset-tap and hook that up to the T1/T2 ports as appropriate.

Hope that helps!

Ken

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

In order to make my example clear, I'm going to make the following assumptions:

You're talking about the Layer 4 Traffice Monitor (aka L4TM)

Firewall inside interface, the WSA P1 interface and the WSA T1 interface plugged into the same swtich, on the same VLAN. 

Firewall inside on gig1/1

WSA P1 on gig1/5

WSA T1 on gig1/10

(Optional WSA T2 on gig1/11)

If you feel that one interface on the WSA will get overloaded, set the L4TM config in Network/Interfaces for simplex. Then connect the WSA T2 port to the swtich (say gig1/11), and do an egress span from gig1/1 to gig1/10 and ingress span from gig1/1 to gig1/11.

If its all connected to a HUB, the use DUPLEX on the WSA L4TM config and just hook up T1...

Or you can use an actual tap, that you put in-line like this:  http://www.netoptics.com/products/network-taps/101001000baset-tap and hook that up to the T1/T2 ports as appropriate.

Hope that helps!

Ken

OK. so it sounds like the network tap is an efficient piece of hardware to deliver packets. Thanks