cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended setup of WSA for guest network

jilahbg
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently implementing a WSA in a Cisco ASA environment. For all internal devices I use WCCP (the WSA is on inside from the firewall perspective).

However, in the environment there is also a guest network terminating on a DMZ of the firewall. Because of the limitiations in ASA I cant use WCCP for this traffic.

Which is the recommended approach to "proxify" the guest users internet traffic? If possible I want to avoid proxy settings in the devices since this is a network with unknown device types. Also, I want to avoid proxy auto-discovery for the same reason.

what do you recommend?

Best regards

Jimmy

4 Replies 4

Do you have a VM infrastructure that has access to the DMZ?  You could put up a VM instance of the WSA in the DMZ and put WCCP on the DMZ interface of the ASA pointed at the virtual instance...

Yes, there is a VM infrastructure. However, I don´t really like the idea with one more WSA-instance with its own configuration to manage just for the guest network.

How is this solved in other environments? Is proxy auto-discovery for guest (unmanaged devices) a recommended approach? Is there a way to make this totally transparent for the guest users even though they resides on a DMZ and the WSA is on the inside?

Best regards

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

One option is to seperate a guest network by using a seperate subnet rather internally rather then have the guests on the DMZ. Then you may setup an identity based on that subnet. Once you have that identity setup add it to a access policy and define which categories you would like to block, monitor or allow. Remeber when you allow a category the WSA will not use its scanning engines for example, WBRS Web Reputation Score, Webroot or Anti Virus. This will allow you to seprately control the guest network through the WSA. This is the most common setup which I see often.

Sincerely,

Erik Kaiser
WSA CSE
WSA Cisco Forums Moderator

Sincerely, Erik Kaiser WSA CSE WSA Cisco Forums Moderator

Hi Erik,

Using the above method we still need to provide the proxy IP to the guest user?

Thanks & Regards,

Yogesh Madhekar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: