Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't Determine Flash Device WAE-512

agvelegol
Level 1
Level 1

I havea WAE-512.

I was trying to copy new code to the device and it gave a message about the flash.

I did a show flash and get the following:

WAAS software version (disk-based code): WAAS-4.1.3-b55

System image on flash:
bs_show_version: Can't determine flash device
exec_show_flash: trouble running /ruby/bin/bs_show_version: (1,1)

Also, when doing a show hardware, I get the following under BIOS information:

BIOS Information:
Vendor         :IBM
--More--bs_get_cookie: Can't determine flash device
/ruby/bin/checkcookie: wanted to read 128 bytes from -, got 0 instead
Version        :IBM BIOS Version 1.04-[P6E104AUS-1.04]-
Rel. Date      :04/28/2006

Is there something I can do from the CLI to reinit the flash?  

3 Replies 3

Hi,

It would seem the flash device has failed or doesn't have an image installed.  The best way to try to resolve this is use the Recovery CD.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v421/configuration/guide/maint.html#wp1173532

The above document explains each option that will be presented.  You should execute the options 2, 3, and 5.  If any of these fail then you probably have a hardware issue with the flash card or the flash card reader. 

Another option would be to open the device, and make sure the flash card and reader are seated properly within the chassis.

After verifying that, if you can't get the box to recognize the flash/ reinstall the flash image via the recovery CD then I'd suggest opening a TAC case and get an RMA for the chassis.

Cheers,

Mike Korenbaum

Cisco WAAS PDI Help Desk

http://www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

P.S.  If this answers your question please mark it as such.

Will a reboot of the device cause it not to come back online?   I just want to know how I should plan on doing the reboot from the recovery CD to try the options.  I've opened a TAC case in the event that I need to pull the RMA trigger.   Hoping that rebuilding the flash cures the issue.

I'm not 100% sure if the device would boot properly if the flash was failed.  I know that for the WAE to operate properly you must have the sysimg installed on flash and the bin image installed on disk, and if the .bin image was not installed but the sysimg on flash was installed that the WAE would boot, but operate in a limited mode.

I would definitely recommend performing this action during a maintenance window, and engage TAC as necessary.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: