Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WAAS and Oracle Streams Replication

dedra_live
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to know whether Cisco WAAS supports Oracle Streams replication over WAN link. Are there any white papers, study sheets with performance evaluation of such data replication solution.

Thanks.

8 Replies 8

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I was not able to find any history of testing oracle streams with WAAS nor in TAC case repository (unless different name was used previously).

Probably someone from PDI helpdesk will be more suited to answer here.

If streams works on TCP, then ideally Cisco WAAS should support it. Isn't it.

Thanks

Well, yes that's true or at least that's the thoery.

However be aware that some procols require certain order of packets or fields in packets unchanged - if oracle streams is one of them the business unit/marketing would have to evaluate support for it.

However you asked for evaluation or whitepapers - here I have no such info - which PDI helpdesk can (maybe) provide.

Ok.

Oracle Data Guard is supported by Cisco WAAS and it works on the same TCP port as Oracle Streams. If port is the same, should Streams be then also supported by WAAS.

For the TCP level optimizations, we shouldn't have a problem supporting it.  The question is really how much benefit you would see.  To better understand that we would need to understand the WAN characteristics (bandwidth, RTT latency, etc.) of your environment and a sample packet capture to test with.

Zach

Thanks Zach.

Do you know of any case from the Cisco customer/client base or an independent evaluation where Cisco WAAS was successfully implemented with Oracle Streams.

Also can you provide any document which explains in detail different benefits based on the WAN characteristics (bandwidth, RTT latency, etc.) of the environment other than the TCP optimization.

I am not personally aware of anyone who has used WAAS to optimize Oracle Streams traffic.  I also didn't find anything searching internally, so I posted the question to an internal alias.  I'll let you know if I get any responses.

For your second question, are you asking what benefits there are/would be for Oracle Streams traffic other than TCP optimization?  Since we do not have an Application Optimizer (AO) specifically for Oracle Streams traffic, the WAN optimization (TCP throughput enhancements and compression) are the benefits we would provide.

Regards,

Zach

Joseph McQueen
Level 1
Level 1

I believe you are looking for this:

www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/pdf/dataguard.pdf

It outlines how Dataguard works natively with WAAS.