cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CM IP Address change

epeeler
Level 1
Level 1

I saw a discussion in regards to this further down but didn't see a definitive answer to my particular question.

To register my appliances back to the CM after I've changed the IP address of the CM. Do I need to first deregister the old CM IP and then register the new one?  I see in the Web GUI for the appliace there is a deregister option but I don't see a similar command in the CLI.

If I do the change via CLI do I need to first do a "no central-manager address <old ip>" or will subsequent invocations of the command replace the existing command? Will I need to restart CMS after I've done this?

Thanks in Advance.

3 Replies 3

Daniel Arrondo Ostiz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Yes, you should deregister your appliances from the CM before making any changes to the IP address. You can do this either from the GUI or by using the "WAE# cms deregister" command.

If you don't deregister the devices before making the changes, you probably won't be able to register the devices to the CM after the address change. In that case, you would need to do the identity recovery procedure as if the devices had been replaced.

Regards

Daniel

Since we have config-sync enabled to the CM, do I need to worry that my changes on the appliances are going to be overwritten on the next sync?

ktunugun
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

If you are using a FQDN instead of an IP Address on your WAEs for central manager then you don't need to de-register and re-register in CM. Simply change the IP Address of the CM and in the DNS server change the IP Address for the FQDN for CM to the new IP Address. Since the WAEs will always reach DNS for name resolution they are not bound to the CM IP.

If presently you have configured Central Manager IP address on your WAEs, you can change this to FQDN and then you can go ahead and change the IP Address of the CM.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Kiran