Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring Cisco WAAS without an CM server/appliance

hartono.tjung
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All, 

I have been wondereing in a couple days. My customer only bought one cisco WAVE appliance to be run a WAAS software. My question is:

1. With this one WAVE appliance, could I run Central Manager and WAAS software simultaneously?

2. If I can't run Central Manager and WAAS software simultaneously, How can I configure the WAAS without Central manager?

Thanks

Hartono

3 Replies 3

Hi Hartono,

Single device can either act WAAS accelerator or Central manager, but you cant do both function in single device. Central manager is to manage, monitor and control the edge device in means pushing the policies/software to all edge devices.

WAAS appliance will accelerate the user/site traffic even if you dont have a central manager, but peer end site should have one more WAAS accelerator to understand the traffic flow.

With single device you cant accelerator and optimize the traffic.

Hope this help you .

Regards,

Bala

Hi Bala, 

Thanks for your answer. 

That means, I can configure the optimization policy via Web GUI in the WAAS appliance without Central Manager?

Hi Hartono,

Yes you can configure individual WAE using the device manager.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v501/configuration/guide/cnfg/device.html#wpxref25636

CM is needed when you have many devices to manage and it is very convenient to push policies, upgrades, monitoring, statistics etc from one device.

As Bala said, you need two WAE's to optimize the traffic.

Regards,

Kanwal

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: