Helpful
Replies

File management in WAEs

guzman.barrio
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a few questions about file management in WAE:

1) If I transfer a file from a central site to a remote office (both sites has WAEs) with a CIFS copy and after that someone sends me a email with the same file attached, the file pass through the WAN again with the email or only pass the email and the file attached is serverd from the remote WAE caché?.

2) If I prepositon a group of files in a remote WAE and some of these files are deleted for some reason, when I run the preposition task again to preposition only the files that change since the last preposition task the deleted files deleted from the previous preposition are prepositioned again or not?

Thanks all for yout help.

Regards,

Guzmán

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mhollowa
Level 1
Level 1

Guzman,

1) If I transfer a file from a central site to a remote office (both sites has WAEs) with a CIFS copy and after that someone sends me a email with the same file attached, the file pass through the WAN again with the email or only pass the email and the file attached is serverd from the remote WAE caché?.

MH- The email file is not a CIFS connection so the CIFS cache would not be used.  If the data is still in the DRE cache, you would see benefits of DRE over the WAN.

2)  If I prepositon a group of files in a remote WAE and some of these  files are deleted for some reason, when I run the preposition task again  to preposition only the files that change since the last preposition  task the deleted files deleted from the previous preposition are  prepositioned again or not?

MH- I am not sure what you are asking here - there is no way to manually delete a file from the WAE's CIFS cache.  If you clear the CIFS cache, PP will pick up all the files again.  If a user deletes a file from the FS while going  through WAAS/CIFS AO it would then be removed from the cache.  Now if the file is restored on the server, then the next PP run would pickup the file not in cache.

Michael

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mhollowa
Level 1
Level 1

Guzman,

MH- The email file is not a CIFS connection so the CIFS cache would not be used.  If the data is still in the DRE cache, you would see benefits of DRE over the WAN.

2)  If I prepositon a group of files in a remote WAE and some of these  files are deleted for some reason, when I run the preposition task again  to preposition only the files that change since the last preposition  task the deleted files deleted from the previous preposition are  prepositioned again or not?

MH- I am not sure what you are asking here - there is no way to manually delete a file from the WAE's CIFS cache.  If you clear the CIFS cache, PP will pick up all the files again.  If a user deletes a file from the FS while going  through WAAS/CIFS AO it would then be removed from the cache.  Now if the file is restored on the server, then the next PP run would pickup the file not in cache.

Michael

Michael, thanks for your help.

In question #2, I want to know what happen if a file previously PP via a daily squeduled task is delete due to cache normal operation (there is no space for new files and need to use LRU in CIFS cache to make it).  The next time the scheduled PP job runs, the previously PP file (and now delete in cache) is re-PP? (suppose that the task was generated with the option FILES CHANGED SINCE LAST PREPOSITION in the Type field).

Best regards,

Guzmán