Views
Helpful
Replies

High BDP question

Jan Rockstedt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

When is it recommended to use "Set High BDP recommended values"?
If I have a site with 2 Mbit line and an latency roundtrip of 220ms without load and up to 350ms with load.

Should I use the high option button?

Jan

3 Replies 3

Jan,

With the introduction of TCP Adaptive Buffering in WAAS 4.1, TCP send and receive buffers are dynamically sized as network conditions warrant. In most cases, you do not need to modify the acceleration TCP adaptive buffering settings because your WAAS system automatically configures the TCP adaptive buffer settings based on the network bandwidth and delay experienced by each connection.

Adaptive buffering allows the WAAS software to dynamically vary the size of the send and receive buffers to increase performance and more efficiently use the available network bandwidth.Manual configuration of the buffers isn't normally necessary. Only in cases of troubleshooting performance problems, manual configuration may come handy.

So, the question is are you observing a performance problem at this site?  Also, if you will be modifying the buffers on this site's WAE you should also modify them on the peer WAE(s) (e.g. the DC WAE) as well to keep the buffers in sync.  Note, the TFO adaptive buffering feature will need to be disabled in order for these static buffers to take affect.

Cheers,

Mike Korenbaum

Cisco WAAS PDI Help Desk

http://www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

P.S.  If this answers your question please mark it as such.

Mike,

Yes the site have performance problem to the DC, the latency is killing the apps.

As I dont want to change the peer's WAE's at the DC, I will not change the BDP.

Thank you

Jan

Jan,

Is it all apps that are having a problem or only certain apps?

Before you introduced WAAS at this site and the clients accessed these apps over the WAN was the performance worse (e.g. what was the baseline performance before WAAS, and has WAAS improved the situation from the baseline)?

Regards,

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: