cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

inline waas deployment with HSRP routers

Srin_G
Level 3
Level 3

Hi guys, we have about 40 odd waas boxes using wccp method. Recently, we took over another company and their routers are managed by the ISP. Thinking of using inline mode deployment at the moment! i never played with this before if someone shed a bit of insite to this design it will be great. we going to use WAVE-274 it has two inline ports and one LAN port. There will be two routers each having their own WAN links  (one for backup) running HSRP. Thanks                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The simple answer here is that you need an in-line card that can handle 2x LAN-link and 2x WAN-link... which you won't get from your WAE-274. The ports you specified are likely as follows:

-2x In-Line interfaces (think of this as 1x WAN and 1x LAN)

-1x Management interface

The inline ports are special in that they can fail-to-wire in a device failure scenario. The managment interface is not designed to do that.

Look here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/contnetw/ps5680/ps6474/data_sheet_c78-495801.html

In that link you will see that the WAE-274 is a fixed-setup device that can only have a 2-port in-line card. There is no 4-port in-line card that you can purchase "to my knowledge". Hence, to remain "in line" you'll need to upgrade to a different unit that has that capability or opt for a virtual-inline deployment such as WCCP/PBR.

Hopefully that makes sense.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

gaursin2
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

i dont't think there will be any problem just connect in right way i.e. WAN1 of inline card to router1, wan2 of inline card to router 2, LAN1 and Lan2 of inline card to LAN switch (ofcourse in same vlan).

can u elaborate what exact is your doubt

Gaurav, thanks i read about the setup in the web, the problem i am having is i have only 2 inline ports and 1 normal LAN port.

The simple answer here is that you need an in-line card that can handle 2x LAN-link and 2x WAN-link... which you won't get from your WAE-274. The ports you specified are likely as follows:

-2x In-Line interfaces (think of this as 1x WAN and 1x LAN)

-1x Management interface

The inline ports are special in that they can fail-to-wire in a device failure scenario. The managment interface is not designed to do that.

Look here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/contnetw/ps5680/ps6474/data_sheet_c78-495801.html

In that link you will see that the WAE-274 is a fixed-setup device that can only have a 2-port in-line card. There is no 4-port in-line card that you can purchase "to my knowledge". Hence, to remain "in line" you'll need to upgrade to a different unit that has that capability or opt for a virtual-inline deployment such as WCCP/PBR.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Just curious, if egress traffic goes out from port 0,1 and ingress traffic comes into port 2,3, in this scenario, does WAAS able to accelerate the traffic with no issue?  I am guessing it is ok, as long as traffic comes in and goes out through the "same" waas.  What you think?

Thanks

I'm still getting a handle on this scenario myself at the moment but I'm quite sure it will work. Packets that flow through the WAE from LAN to WAN ports get their TCP sequence number shifted and TCP options added to packets (in "auto discovery" mode at least).The packets would route to the remote end normally.

When packets come back, if for some reason they come through the second WAN link the packets will still be TCP-sequence shifted/TCP option tagged from the remote end hence the WAE should still optimize it. In short, regardless of which interface they come into the WAE will still see and interpret the packets in the same way.... this all said, it is only a guess.

Looking at the archietecture online (http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Cisco_WAAS_Troubleshooting_Guide_for_Release_4.1.3_and_Later_--_Understanding_the_WAAS_Architecture_and_Traffic_Flow#Network_I.2FO) it shows that packets coming in through the interface IO are handed to the OS to process/handle. I'd imagine it is smart enough to handle this.

This all said.... asynchronous routing isn't a good thing! If packets are going out via the first link and back by the second something is wrong with routing in my opinion!

Srin_G
Level 3
Level 3

thanks mate.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: