Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WAAS-CIFS setup for NME-WAE-522-K9

Hi,

We are developing a media solution in our lab. In that process, I was about to use a CIFS Sharing/Mouting for a DMM-DMP(Digtal media manager-digital media player). I have a cisco 3800 series router with NME-WAE-522-K9 Module , and an AXP module. I have configured the WAE with WCCP v2. It is in accelerator mode.

1. I want to know if i can use the same WAE device as a "CIFS share"  or should i have to use a seperate Windows/Unix machine to be acting as a server. If at all i can use the WAE module itself as Share,  Can i know any link from where i can get to know how to configure WAE device to work as share.
  2. I came across WASF in many places of documents and wanted to check if this is what the WAE module is called when used as a Share?.
  3. When i opened my webpage of WAE, i can see the CifsAO componenet as not licensed . So where should i download the license file from?. Does this CifsAO will be acting as a network Share.?

Sorry if it is too basic question. Am new to this WAAS setup.and moreover i am not able to find proper documentation.

Please advice.

Thanks,

JK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: WAAS-CIFS setup for NME-WAE-522-K9

JK,

When you specify the share in the screen shot you provided for WAAS, this should be the IP user/pass of the actual server not the WAAS device.  Then when a DMS device accesses this CIFS share it should traverse 2 WAEs (assuming redirection is setup properly), and the device near the client will cache the video files.

Also, WAAS works in a pair scenario, one at the client side and one at the server side (and a CM) at minimum.  If you only have 1 WAAS you will not get any acceleration/ caching on the client side WAE.

Hope this clears things up.

Cheers,

Mike

P.S.  If this answers your question please mark it as such.

3 REPLIES

Hi JK,

What you are proposing is completely feasible with WAAS via the CIFS Accelerator (CIFS AO) and the prepositioning feature.  The first thing you would need to make sure is all of your WAAS devices have the Enterprise license (specifically this WAE at the branch where your clients sit and the DC WAE where the CIFS file servers sit) .  If you have not purchased this license/ it is not active on your WAAS devices please contact your Cisco SE and they can work with you on getting this feature licensed and activated.  To verify your license status on the CLI of each WAE execute the command "show license"

Once you have verified the Enterprise license is enabled, you can then enable the CIFS AO on all of your accelerators either via the CM or the CLI with the command "accelerator cifs enable"  Then you can verify it is running with the show accelerator command.

Next verify that a branch user connecting to the CIFS file server in the DC is accelerated via the CIFS AO.  From a test PC connect to the share, then on the  CLI of the branch WAE use the command "show stat con | in " and find the port 445 connection to your DC file server IP.  This should be listed a T,C,D,L (meaning full optimization with CIFS AO acceleration).

Once this is verified setup a preposition job as per the configuration guide here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v421/configuration/guide/filesvr.html#wp1043490

You can then have this job run nightly/ weekly/ or whatever frequency is conducive to your environment.

Once the job has been completed your CIFS cache on the branch WAE will be populated with the data from the directory/ directories you specified in the preposition job.  So when users or devices connect to the DC file share to pull these videos/ files they will be pulling them from the local WAE cache instead of over the WAN (note, some communication still goes over the WAN to maintain proper consistency).

Note, your WAE-522 has approximately 40GB of storage allocated for CIFS cache. 

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Cheers,

Mike Korenbaum

Cisco WAAS PDI Help Desk

http://www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

Hi Mike Korenbaum,

Thank you for the quick help. I forget to tell you the full scenario. I was setting up a WAAS in my Lab for testing purpose where i have just a single WAE 522-K9 device with Enterprise and Video license enabled. And Cifs AO is running on it.  I dont setup any Central Manager for this scenario. And just using this single WAE device, Can i use it as a WAAS Mounting device for my Digital Media Manager?.

Below is my Digital Media Manager page which into which am trying to mount a WAAS.

Thanks,

JK

JK,

When you specify the share in the screen shot you provided for WAAS, this should be the IP user/pass of the actual server not the WAAS device.  Then when a DMS device accesses this CIFS share it should traverse 2 WAEs (assuming redirection is setup properly), and the device near the client will cache the video files.

Also, WAAS works in a pair scenario, one at the client side and one at the server side (and a CM) at minimum.  If you only have 1 WAAS you will not get any acceleration/ caching on the client side WAE.

Hope this clears things up.

Cheers,

Mike

P.S.  If this answers your question please mark it as such.

Views
Helpful
Replies