cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS DRE with Hosted Exchange

jasonfaraone
Level 4
Level 4

We're currently looking at using a hosted Exchange environment. One of the major hurdles that we're looking at is how to deal with email attachments. If I send an email to the guy in the next cube, I sent it to the cloud, and when he opens it, he retrieves it from the cloud. This got me thinking; I know WAAS caches via DRE as described in the "Email Acceleration" section of this page; without a WAAS appliance on the Exchange Host provider side of things, will my WAAS appliance cache the attachment when I send it out to the hosted cloud, and then serve the cached copy to my friend when he opens the attachment?

In other words, would sending an email with attachment that passes through our local WAAS appliance enable the recipient of the email to open the cached copy instead of retrieving it from the cloud? In this setup, both the sender and reciever are behind the same WAAS appliance.

Thanks for any help,

Jason

1 Reply 1

amikus
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately, DRE works on lower level than Exchange/Outlook application.

The cache is only populated if there is another device at the other side of WAN link

that has a chance to cache the same data and create saving in WAN usage if it

is transmitted again, in any direction. This happens transparently, the server does

not know there is caching on the way towards client and it is still sending full data out.

This is working with any TCP based application.

Your proposal would require to convince the server not to send the attachment over WAN

so it can be served from local cache, but that is completely outside of scope of DRE caching.

Thanks