cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS Email Alerting

Daniel Huenink
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to set up e-mail alerting for when the central manager shows an alert.  For instance recently one of our appliances show that a power supply is bad and needs to be replaced.  I see in the central manager that there is a section for SMTP server info but according to the documentation I believe that this is only for notification of report jobs correct me if I am wrong. I also know that you can go to each device and set up notifications and provide the SMTP info there as well but I'm not sure if that will send the right information.  I have looked on the device GUI that has the bad power supply and can't find anywhere in the GUI that says it has a bad power supply. The alert is only showing up in the central manager as well as if you SSH to the device and do a show alerts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Daniel,

Yes. you are right. The document I sent you has SNMP configuration only. It does not talk about setting up email alerts on WAE.

You have to configure individual WAE for email alerts. This is not integrated thru Central Manager yet.The WAE will send out individual email alerts, independent of SNMP alerts. I am yet to confirm whether you need to enable SNMP alert on WAE to make this work or not.

Added: I just verified that you have to enable and configure SNMP settings to make this work.

Regards.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

focused
Level 1
Level 1

I too would like to see this.  Right now we have to have a routine task to log into the CM each day.

I've also been asking that Cisco support the IBM RMU or HP iLO so that we can get this reporting properly and also be able to utilize that so we have power on, power off capability.  Currently if the power is off and it doesn't come back on we have to send someone into the office, a remote card would be nice!

Bhavin Yadav
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Daniel,

Yes. You can do this but not from Central Manager.

Please login to the WAE directly. Please make sure to use IE as browser. Use this URL to login to WAE directly (bypassing WAE):

https://:8443

Login as admin. Once you login, click on Cisco WAE --> Configuration --> Notifier Tab. You will see Email Notification option. Please fill in the details and enable what level of SNMP alerts you want to recive from the device.

Please also make sure to enable SNMP alerts and configure SNMP options from CM for the device. Link on Central Manager: My WAN --> Manage Devices --> --> Configure --> Monitoring --> SNMP .

Here is the link to help you with SNMP configuration:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v421/configuration/guide/SNMP.html

Please note that at this time, you can only  enable email alerts from WAE on individual basis.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

PS: If this answers your question, please mark it as Answered.

Hi Bhavin,

So let me make sure I have this right before I go configuring all of my WAAS devices.  The document you reference does not contain anything about setting up email alerts. It only pertains to setting up SNMP Traps.  So are you telling me that I have to configure an SNMP trap and then the device will email an alert once a Trap is generated? or will I have to configure our Trap server to handle the email alerting?

Hi Daniel,

Yes. you are right. The document I sent you has SNMP configuration only. It does not talk about setting up email alerts on WAE.

You have to configure individual WAE for email alerts. This is not integrated thru Central Manager yet.The WAE will send out individual email alerts, independent of SNMP alerts. I am yet to confirm whether you need to enable SNMP alert on WAE to make this work or not.

Added: I just verified that you have to enable and configure SNMP settings to make this work.

Regards.

Bhavin,

Is there plans in future IOS upgrades to include a centralized way to manage this?  Setting up e-mail alerts for each device in a small environment is fine but when you get up into the 100's of devices that's a bit much to setup each one.

Thanks

Shaun

Yes. There is internal defect filed to track thsi functionality. Not sure though when it will be addressed.

Is there any update on when this issue might be addressed?

Many thanks.

Hello Bhavin,

I tried doing it on one of the WAE-594 but I am not receiving any email, SNMP is already configured through Device Group. Could you please help on this.

Regards

Kamal

Bhavin Yadav
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Daniel,

Let us know if you have any more questions or if you can mark this as Answered.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: