Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS Mobile Questions

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all !!! Hope everyone is well !!!

I have a WAAS environment in place using WAE appliances and I am looking into deploying WAAS mobile for teleworkers. My questions are, can WAAS mobile work with WAE appliance ? or would I need a WAAS mobile server at the data center for it to function ?

Thanks in advance !!!

D.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Exactly as Finn mentioned.  I played around with a WAAS mobile server.  It's very easy and convenient as it can just be a VM and you send client a URL to install the WAAS client.  Works just as well as the WAAS appliances, but for remote users.  Saved a lot of bandwidth over VPN connections when I tested it.  You can get an eval that allows three or four clients to test it out.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

finn.poulsen
Level 3
Level 3

WAAS mobile has only the name in common with WAAS Appliances.

You'll need a WAAS Mobile server.

Best regards

Finn Poulsen

Exactly as Finn mentioned.  I played around with a WAAS mobile server.  It's very easy and convenient as it can just be a VM and you send client a URL to install the WAAS client.  Works just as well as the WAAS appliances, but for remote users.  Saved a lot of bandwidth over VPN connections when I tested it.  You can get an eval that allows three or four clients to test it out.

Hi David !! I appreciate your response !!

I just got a WAAS Mobile server up running and it seems like it does the job. I ran some file transfer test over VPN and I've noticed the difference. But it seems like WAAS Mobile is designed to work over VPN connection only, do you know if that is the case ? I ran some test over a LAN connection and it didn't seem to work.

Also, do you know if WAAS appliance can be used to optimize replication data traffic ?

Thanks David !!

D.

Hi,

Please check if High Speed Bypass is enabled. This disables acceleration when a low latency connection to the WAAS Mobile server is detected, as defined by the Round-Trip Time Threshold.

Yes WAAS Appliance can be used on the both ends to optimize replication data traffic. Generally the policy configured for optimizing relication traffic is TFO+LZ. However it needs to be qualified what replication application is being used.

Regards

Kiran.

Thanks Kiran / David !! I appreciate the response !!

Where in WAAS Mobile Manager that I can check if High Speed Bypass is enabled ?

Currently I am using Data Domain for data replication but soon will be moving over to Quantum.

D.

Yeah, I think it's really meant for VPN.  I'm guessing you could use it without VPN assuming your WAAS Mobile server was available publicly and you have the appropriate ports open, but I would think the exposure risk would be increased to high for that.  I think I also found that you couldn't include the subnet of your WAAS Mobile server in the list of optimized subnets which is the same rule of thumb that you use with WAAS appliances.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: