cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS Network Module IP address question

Tod Larson
Level 3
Level 3

I've read the instructions for configuring a WAAS Network Module but I don't understand what IP space I'm suppose to use.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v403/module/configuration/guide/wsnmecfg.html

My 2821 has g0/1 as the LAN connection and s0/1 as the WAN link

g0/1.1 - 10.1.1.1 /24

g0/1.4 - 10.1.1.4 /24

s0/1 - 192.168.1.1 /30

Do I need to allocate a new subnet for interface service-engine1/0?  Or can is be an IP address in my 10.1.1.1/24 subnet?  What's the best practice? 

If it's a new subnet then I assume I need to add it to eigrp, right?

Here is the sample from the Configuration Guide...

interface service-engine1/0

ip address 10.0.0.20 255.255.255.0  <--- does this have to be it's own subnet, what's best practice?

service-module integrated-service-engine ip address 10.0.0.30 255.255.255.0 <-- this has to be in the same subnet as above, right?

service-module integrated-service-engine ip default-gateway 10.0.0.20 <-- is this always the "int service-engine1/0" IP?

Sorry for the shotgun question approach.  Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Tod,

The most common scenario is to allocate a new subnet for the module.  Since the module will need IP connectivity to the Central Manager, you should advertise it via EIGRP (or whatever routing protocol you are using).

Here are the answers to your command specific questions:

ip address 10.0.0.20 255.255.255.0  <--- does this have to be  it's own subnet, what's best practice?

> See above.  The most common scenario is to allocate a new IP subnet.

service-module  integrated-service-engine ip address 10.0.0.30 255.255.255.0 <-- this  has to be in the same subnet as above, right?

> Yes.  This is the IP address that is assigned to the NME-WAE.

service-module  integrated-service-engine ip default-gateway 10.0.0.20 <-- is this  always the "int service-engine1/0" IP?

> Correct.

Regards,

Zach

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Tod,

The most common scenario is to allocate a new subnet for the module.  Since the module will need IP connectivity to the Central Manager, you should advertise it via EIGRP (or whatever routing protocol you are using).

Here are the answers to your command specific questions:

ip address 10.0.0.20 255.255.255.0  <--- does this have to be  it's own subnet, what's best practice?

> See above.  The most common scenario is to allocate a new IP subnet.

service-module  integrated-service-engine ip address 10.0.0.30 255.255.255.0 <-- this  has to be in the same subnet as above, right?

> Yes.  This is the IP address that is assigned to the NME-WAE.

service-module  integrated-service-engine ip default-gateway 10.0.0.20 <-- is this  always the "int service-engine1/0" IP?

> Correct.

Regards,

Zach

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: