Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS on MS-SQL

Mero Cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have got an client server model at my office. The database used is MS-SQL Server. 80% of the bandwidth is used for SQL. The remote side is connected with the Vsat link. The total bandwidth of the vsat link at the remote side is only 128 kbps. The latency is 600-700 ms. The connection is very slow and I cann't get the better connectivity to this site due to lack of infrastructure. I need to increase the WAN performance. I am planning to implement cisco 881 or 892 with WAAS enabled at remote. For the testing purpose I am planning to install the cisco 892 at HO.

1. Will cisco 881 works better keeping in the mind the bandwidth of only 128 kbps. Maximum bandwidth available to this site is only 1 mbps in the next few years. Will 881 works till this bandwidth ?

2. How better with be the WAN performance after the implementation of WAAS?

3. Do I need to renew the WAAS license yearly or its permanent ?

4. If the total time taken to finish the job on the current network is 10 hours, in many hours will the job finish after the WAAS implementation ?

Please reply ASAP.

Regards,

Mero

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gurpreet Kochar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mero,

Please reference this document for router throughput/performance statistics

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

1. Will cisco 881 works  better keeping in the mind the bandwidth of only 128 kbps. Maximum  bandwidth available to this site is only 1 mbps in the next few years.  Will 881 works till this bandwidth ?

[Gurpreet] As per the numbers, 881 should be sufficient. Since you are referring to waas express, the below link should provide you better idea. Refer to table 2 of below link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/contnetw/ps5680/ps11211/datasheet_c78-611644.html

[Gurpreet] Considering the latency, i am expecting you will see a huge performance boost. I won't be able to give you a number but the optimization of traffic essentially depends upon the type of traffic. For SQL Traffic waas will perform TDL, meaning tcp optimizatoin and data redundancy elimiation. So performance of waas is directly proportional to how much of redundant data it sees and if the data is already compressed by the server then waas will give you less benifit. If that data is encrypted by the server/client, then also waas will not be of great help. But as long as the data is not encrypted and not compressed by the server, waas should give you a huge performance boost.

[Gurpreet] The license is permanent.

4.  If the total time taken to finish the job on the current network is 10  hours, in many hours will the job finish after the WAAS implementation ?

[Gurpreet] if traffic is uncompressed at server level and is not encypted and is redundant, i am speculating it should reduce the time required by more than half. I have seen performance boosts upto 90% and more.

Regards

Gurpreet Kochar

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Gurpreet Kochar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mero,

Please reference this document for router throughput/performance statistics

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

1. Will cisco 881 works  better keeping in the mind the bandwidth of only 128 kbps. Maximum  bandwidth available to this site is only 1 mbps in the next few years.  Will 881 works till this bandwidth ?

[Gurpreet] As per the numbers, 881 should be sufficient. Since you are referring to waas express, the below link should provide you better idea. Refer to table 2 of below link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/contnetw/ps5680/ps11211/datasheet_c78-611644.html

[Gurpreet] Considering the latency, i am expecting you will see a huge performance boost. I won't be able to give you a number but the optimization of traffic essentially depends upon the type of traffic. For SQL Traffic waas will perform TDL, meaning tcp optimizatoin and data redundancy elimiation. So performance of waas is directly proportional to how much of redundant data it sees and if the data is already compressed by the server then waas will give you less benifit. If that data is encrypted by the server/client, then also waas will not be of great help. But as long as the data is not encrypted and not compressed by the server, waas should give you a huge performance boost.

[Gurpreet] The license is permanent.

4.  If the total time taken to finish the job on the current network is 10  hours, in many hours will the job finish after the WAAS implementation ?

[Gurpreet] if traffic is uncompressed at server level and is not encypted and is redundant, i am speculating it should reduce the time required by more than half. I have seen performance boosts upto 90% and more.

Regards

Gurpreet Kochar