Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS- Optimization for OCS and Wireless traffic

Hi,

I have been trying to find some information regarding optimization of Microsoft Office Communicator and Wireless traffic across a WAN environment via WAAS and its acceleration/optimization capabilities.

So far, I have seen the case studies section for WAAS but no case offers what I am looking for...

Do you have any information/documentation that can be shared with customers regarding OCS and Wireless as key business application that were benefited after  a WAAS deployment?

Thanks

Regards,

M.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bhavin Yadav
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Manuel,

OCS basically is mix of https and voice traffic (UDP).

Few things about OCS that could help you determine your optimziation level.

1. Are they using HTTPS connection? if yes, SSL AO may help.

2. Are they forcing all traffic over TCP? By default, OCS sends out most of the traffic over TCP, leaving VOICE traffic.

3. If they have live meeting plugin installed, you may need a bigger box as live meeting may take more connections depending on their IM list.

About Wireless deployment, I believe it is completely different and has little or nothing to do with WAAS optimization.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

PS: Please mark this as Answered, if this answers your question.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Bhavin Yadav
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Manuel,

OCS basically is mix of https and voice traffic (UDP).

Few things about OCS that could help you determine your optimziation level.

1. Are they using HTTPS connection? if yes, SSL AO may help.

2. Are they forcing all traffic over TCP? By default, OCS sends out most of the traffic over TCP, leaving VOICE traffic.

3. If they have live meeting plugin installed, you may need a bigger box as live meeting may take more connections depending on their IM list.

About Wireless deployment, I believe it is completely different and has little or nothing to do with WAAS optimization.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

PS: Please mark this as Answered, if this answers your question.

Thanks Bhavin..

So we can say that wireless traffic across a WAN link could not obtain any benefits from any WAN optimization solution, in this case WAAS?

If a wireless controller at a remote site needs to send traffic to another wireless controller in a centralized or HUB site, can we optimize this traffic or it will just  benefit from the overall reduction in bandwidth as a result of any TCP based application getting optimized?

OCS uses SIP which is TCP based or ports 506x so I am assuming that SIP could be benfited by WAAS unless OCS uses a secured session were SIP is encrypted.

Hi Manuel,

Answers for you:

So we can  say that wireless traffic across a WAN link could not obtain any  benefits from any WAN optimization solution, in this case WAAS?

Ans: Nope. I do nto mean that. What I am trying to say is - it's a different thing. Wireless or no Wireless, optimization can be done when the traffic passes thru edge and core side WAEs. If it passes thru only one WAE, it will go in pass thru.

If  a wireless controller at a remote site needs to send traffic to another  wireless controller in a centralized or HUB site, can we optimize this  traffic or it will just  benefit from the overall reduction in bandwidth  as a result of any TCP based application getting optimized?

Ans: It really does not matter. The traffic really needs to pass thru WAEs on both sides in order to optimize. Whether it is from wireless controller or from any other devices, it really does not matter. Further the type of traffic and policies on WAEs will determine how much optimization can be done, if any.

OCS  uses SIP which is TCP based or ports 506x so I am assuming that SIP  could be benfited by WAAS unless OCS uses a secured session were SIP is  encrypted.: Yes, WAAS can help you but SIP is a voice traffic and there are default policies like VoIP on WAAS which will pass thru this traffic for port 5060. It's not a good idea to optimize voice traffic due to various reasons.

Thanks Bhavin

Regards,

Manuel

Thanks Manuel.

Can you please mark this as Answered, if it answered your question?

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: