Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS & Syslog

Zubair.Sayed_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys

I am trying to configure our WAAS environment which includes WAE's and WCM's to send syslog alerts and notifications to the Syslog server.

I have configured our syslog host on the WCM and on each WAE using the following config on the devices.

logging host 10.x.x.x priority error
logging host 10.x.x.x priority error
logging console enable
logging console priority information

I also have a firewall between the logging the server and the WAAS environment and rules have been created.

Please advise as if I login to the WCM I see alarms, if I log on the corresponding WAE device and issue "sh alarms" there are alarms but I dont see them in syslog alerts?

Thanks

Zubair

3 Replies 3

pevaneyn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Zubair,

To monitor for alarms you should use the XML interface to the CM or use snmp to poll the WAE devices.

Syslog is not a nice way as it is UDP and the alarm messages are not uniform.

Best regards, Peter

Hi Peter.

Many thanks for taking time to respond.

I have however managed to get syslog working, I added the above config to all the WAE's and CM's in the environment and we now receiving syslog messages.

I must agree with you that since seeing a few of the syslog messages they not very friendly and do not explain much.

We do from time to time login to the CM but this means if we are not logging in for a while we do not see the alarms.

Please expand on the XML interface you mention?

Regards

Zubair