cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Waas WCCP or Inline

fast5658659
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I am new to WAAS and currently going through the WAAS configutation guide. I have learned that there are three methods to deploy WAAS. Our client has got two sites and they want to accelerate the file sharing across WAN link. The number of users at each site is not more then 50. We have purchased three Cisco WAVE 274 for our client.

At the moment they have got the fileserver/exchnage/sbsserver/print server at there main site. All the users in branch site connect via VPN to main site and use resources via WAN link. My current thinking is to use two wave 274s on each site as inline deployment. Can someone pls answer these questions ?

1) Which is the best technique to use here (inline or WCCP)

2) I have two port inline network adaptors in each WAVE 274 (Will it provide the fail to wire capability in event of hardware failure)

3) The two edge router are Cisco 857W and Cisco 877 and LAN switches are unmanaged netgear switches(Will they support WCCP)

4) How can I utilize the third Wave 274 (as a centeral manager at main site?)

5) I learned that Windows server can be installed on Wave 274 to deployment print and other services ( How it will help in optimization)

Many thanks

Waqas

5 Replies 5

Bhavin Yadav
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Waqas,

Answers for you:

1) Which is the best technique to use here (inline or WCCP)

Both, depending upon your router / switch you are using. inline can work with any switch / router. WCCP works with specific router with specifc IOS only. But inline failure affects all the traffic and WCCP only affects the traffic redirecting thru WCCP. More WCCP details can be found here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/contnetw/ps5680/ps6870/white_paper_c11-608042.html

2)  I have two port inline network adaptors in each WAVE 274 (Will it  provide the fail to wire capability in event of hardware failure).

Yes, it will. Please make sure to followup the wiring guidelines mentioned here: Cabling

3) The two edge router are Cisco 857W and Cisco 877 and LAN switches are unmanaged netgear switches(Will they support WCCP).

Not sure about NetGear. You probably want to check with Netgear support for that one.

4) How can I utilize the third Wave 274 (as a centeral manager at main site?)

WAE can only be used under one mode at any tme. it can either be central manaer or application accelerator.

5)  I learned that Windows server can be installed on Wave 274 to  deployment print and other services ( How it will help in optimization):

This is called Virtual blades. Further details are here: Configuring Virtual Blades

Hope this helps.

Regards.

PS: If this answers your question, please mark this as Answered.

Thanks for your reply

How can I check whether Cisco 857W and 877 supports WCCP?

Feature navigator, is there for all feature related questions.

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/

Thanks Marcin

In addition to the edge routers does the switch (connected to WAE) need to support WCCP as well?

Hi Waqas,

You do not need WCCP on everything. You just need WCCP feature support on the router / switch from where you plan to redirect.

Regards.

PS: Please mark this as Answered, if this answers your question.