Views
Helpful
Replies

wae-574 single disk system replacement

epeeler
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We've had a wae-574 lose it's only disk. Can someone confirm the steps I need to do to replace it? I know I need to power off the unit and replace the drive. Do I need to do a disk shutdown beforehand?

Do I need to do anything to have it recognize the replacement drive and rebuild it?  All of the documentation I've found talks about replacing a drive in a multidrive raid 1 or raid 5 system but I'm not finding what steps I need to take in a single disk system scenario.

The system is still up and running it's just not accelrating any traffic at the moment.

Thanks,

Elliott

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

bberry
Level 1
Level 1

Elliott,

I just went through this on one of my 574s. The process was relatively simple. In a  nutshell here is what I did.

You will need the new drive and need to create a recovery CD. I backed up the current configuration so that I would not loose passwords, interface configuration, etc. I was concerned about this more than the rules as those would get refreshed from the CM. I powered down the appliance, swapped the drive, inserved the CD into the player, powered up the appliance and went through the recovery steps. Once the appliance loaded off the CD, I think it was steps 2,3,5,7,8 that I used but make sure you remove the CD before 8 which I think was simply reload. This placed the unit back into basically factory reset state. This includes taking the username and bassword back to the default. I then logged into the appliance CLI, reapplied the backed up configuration and got the appliance back to its basic setup. I then had to go through a forced deregistration / registration process to get it and the manager back into sync. If I remember right I simply deleted it from the CM and then used the appliance CLI to re-enable and re-register. Everything seems to now be working fine.

Hope that helps...

Brent

View solution in original post

No problem. Mine knew the exact procedure but I had a hard time at the beginning convencing him the drive was actually dead since I could not generate the standard sysreprt or diagnostic report. There are no and apparently never were any drive lights. Once I got started I just had to figure out the missing pieces such as the de-register / re-register force stuff.. Also some of these did not apply as I do not have multiple drives for mirroring but the system let me know that. Here are the details he started me with...

++You need to burn this file into a disk and then follow these steps :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/wae/troubleshooting/recoverycd/guide/17088rcd.html

There are 8 steps here, out of which you need to use 2,3,5 & 7 with the disk inserted and step 8 after manually removing the device. Step 7 should be repeated twice to make sure no file remains corrupted. Leave 1st,4th & 6th step entirely in this case.

++If you don’t have physical access to the device and the device is accessible remotely, you can download this file in accelerator.bin format from the Cisco website to your FTP server and install the software directly from there. In that case use this command on the CLI of the device : 

#copy ftp install ftpserver / waas-image.bin

(This example assumes that the file is in the root directory of the FTP server. Provide the correct path if needed.)

You can go through this document to refer how to install from FTP server:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/upgrade/guide/waas_upgrade-44.html

Brent

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

bberry
Level 1
Level 1

Elliott,

I just went through this on one of my 574s. The process was relatively simple. In a  nutshell here is what I did.

You will need the new drive and need to create a recovery CD. I backed up the current configuration so that I would not loose passwords, interface configuration, etc. I was concerned about this more than the rules as those would get refreshed from the CM. I powered down the appliance, swapped the drive, inserved the CD into the player, powered up the appliance and went through the recovery steps. Once the appliance loaded off the CD, I think it was steps 2,3,5,7,8 that I used but make sure you remove the CD before 8 which I think was simply reload. This placed the unit back into basically factory reset state. This includes taking the username and bassword back to the default. I then logged into the appliance CLI, reapplied the backed up configuration and got the appliance back to its basic setup. I then had to go through a forced deregistration / registration process to get it and the manager back into sync. If I remember right I simply deleted it from the CM and then used the appliance CLI to re-enable and re-register. Everything seems to now be working fine.

Hope that helps...

Brent

Thanks Brent. That's exactly what I needed. The cisco tech is being a little vague on what needs to be done exactly.

No problem. Mine knew the exact procedure but I had a hard time at the beginning convencing him the drive was actually dead since I could not generate the standard sysreprt or diagnostic report. There are no and apparently never were any drive lights. Once I got started I just had to figure out the missing pieces such as the de-register / re-register force stuff.. Also some of these did not apply as I do not have multiple drives for mirroring but the system let me know that. Here are the details he started me with...

++You need to burn this file into a disk and then follow these steps :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/wae/troubleshooting/recoverycd/guide/17088rcd.html

There are 8 steps here, out of which you need to use 2,3,5 & 7 with the disk inserted and step 8 after manually removing the device. Step 7 should be repeated twice to make sure no file remains corrupted. Leave 1st,4th & 6th step entirely in this case.

++If you don’t have physical access to the device and the device is accessible remotely, you can download this file in accelerator.bin format from the Cisco website to your FTP server and install the software directly from there. In that case use this command on the CLI of the device : 

#copy ftp install ftpserver / waas-image.bin

(This example assumes that the file is in the root directory of the FTP server. Provide the correct path if needed.)

You can go through this document to refer how to install from FTP server:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/upgrade/guide/waas_upgrade-44.html

Brent

Thanks again Brent. Was your unit in production and inline while you did all of this?  I wondering if we are going to get connectivity interruption while we do all of this. 

All inline and in production. There was a tiny little blip on the network as the contacts on the inline card opened and closed as part of shutting down or powering back up but we had no outage issues that I am aware of. As far as I know no one even knew we were working on the appliance.

Brent