Went to upgrade the 574 Application Accelerator

With the following command

"Copy ftp install ftpserver / waas-universal-4.4.7.4-k9.bin"

So I ran "reload" and now it freezes at the lines below upon reboot

dbgrub_start.s

Booting the Kernel

Kernal Alive

Kernal direct mapping tables to la7fff000 @ 8000-10000

It gets to that point and just freezes.  What would be the best steps to follow to try to get this back up without blowing it away?

and it hung up d

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Daniel Arrondo Ostiz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dan,

First of all, I would suggest you to check the boot sequence from the console port instead of using a screen and a keyboard. The boot sequence should give us more information on the failure.

To recover it, you can always try using the recovery cd-rom to do a full re-install of the software.

I hope this helps

Daniel

View solution in original post

Hi Dan,

This indicates a connectivity issue at L2. Probably a wrong speed/duplex setting

Regards

Daniel

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Daniel Arrondo Ostiz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dan,

First of all, I would suggest you to check the boot sequence from the console port instead of using a screen and a keyboard. The boot sequence should give us more information on the failure.

To recover it, you can always try using the recovery cd-rom to do a full re-install of the software.

I hope this helps

Daniel

Ok, much better. I can connect to it now, but it looks like the configuration is blown away.

I am not sure what would be the best way to get back online from this point.

Before upgrading it did a backup and stored it locally on the disc.  Is there a way to get that backup restored?  Should I be using the 4.2.3c rescue disk to acomplish this, or can I use the 4.4.7 that I am upgrading it to?

Also I have a backup that I ran from management connection from HTTPS:

Can I use the 4.4.7 rescue cd blow the old system away then do a restore from this backup that I made from the cisco wae under the backup tab?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Dan,

Since you have a working central manager, you can use the information stored in its database to restore the configuration to the failed device.

The procedure to be followed is described at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v441/configuration/guide/maint.html#wp1105458

Regards

Daniel

Turns out the device had a bad drive.  I replaced the drive and got the updated OS on the device, but now the link state on the gigabit interface 1/0 is showing "Interface is up, line protocol down"???  We are using WCCP ver. 2

Hi Dan,

This indicates a connectivity issue at L2. Probably a wrong speed/duplex setting

Regards

Daniel

Yup, that was the issue on the router side.  The initial issue has been resolved after getting the new hard disc in, there were some alarms that were cleared by deleting some partitions and doing a reload.  Then we deleted the accelerator from the CM and re-registered cms from the accelerator, back up and running.  Thanks for your help.