cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

340AP only working as a Survey Client?

blue.modal
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 342 AP that will not allow me to set it for AP/Infrastructure mode - it wants to revert to Survey Client at every boot.

It's running 4.25 and 11.07 - what am I missing?

5 Replies 5

shaun.oliver
Level 1
Level 1

Check the firmware (flash) contents when the AP boots, and make sure that it's still got the installation key.

If you've done a firmware upgrade on the AP & made a mistake, it's possible to lose the installation key...(The lost installation key problem cripples the AP pretty badly, and can only be fixed by RMA'ing the AP back to Cisco).

If that's not the problem, I'd say check with the TAC.

I got it used, so there's no telling what's been done to it. And little hope for warranty support.

The installation key is a good suggestion. When I saw that it had 11.07 and 4.25 I didn't even think to check the install key. Thanks.

blue.modal
Level 1
Level 1

I may be in trouble with this.

After going back through all of the steps at cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo_350/accsspts/ap350hig/ap350ch4.htm#38491

I realize that I have no VAR Installation key loaded. If I have another AP, can I upload from it to a PC and download it to this one with Xmodem?

Or do I stand to make the problem worse?

You can't copy the installation key from the AP to a PC and back. It just doesn't work.

If you have *no* installation key in the AP, it needs to be RMA'd to Cisco, so they can install a new one. I'm not sure if it's covered by warranty, or if they'll charge you for it.

AFAIK, there's no way a user can replace a 'lost' key.

arrgh. Shaun you are 100% right, as you were the first time you told me.

I found this:

When the "Role of Radio Network" is changed to client non-root, the AP Installaion Key is sometime removed and to change the role back to AP-root is not possible.

The product must be RMAed to resolve the issue.

AT

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCdu15899&cco_product=Cisco+Aironet+340+Access+Points&fset=&swver=&keyw=svp

Now I have to figure out how to get an RMA for an old, product purchased used. Any help?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card