Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

7920 associates to root bridge but not to non-root bridge

I have 7920s using open authentication with WEP128 cipher. I have two 1300 root AP's (with client support) and three non-root AP's (also client support) in the same lab area. The root AP's and non-Root AP's associate and link to each other no problem. However, the 7920's will only associate with the Root APs. If I power down the root APs, the 7920s show "no AP found". I've verified SSID and WEP128 keys. I've also noted that the root AP does have a channel specified under dot11radio0 but the non-roots do not. Do the 7920's just scan for any channel until it finds an association or do I need to specify a channel in the non-root bridges?

Thanks,

Mike.

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: 7920 associates to root bridge but not to non-root bridge

With static WEP, the authentication is happening at the AP level. Will want to ensure non-root is associated to a root though otherwise the interface may be in "reset" state.

The 7920 will look at these 2 as individual APs regardless of channel. Non-roots should have the same channel as the root, otherwise will not be able to communicate.

Views
Helpful
Replies