cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7920 & SIP

jwdonahay
Level 1
Level 1

My company is looking to go to a completely hosted solution and get rid of the CCM's, the hosted solution will be a SIP solution. Will the 7920's work in a hosted SIP solution?

5 Replies 5

migilles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No plans to support SIP on the 7920 platform.

The following products are SCCP ("Skinny") only:

Communicator

ATA-18x

VG248

Hope this helps...

Thanks, do you know of an alternate solution.

One of our departments has a definate need for the wireless handsets. I would prefer not to have to roll back to the VG-248 and and "off the shelf" 2.4ghz phones.

I am not aware of any WiFi phones that talk SIP natively (that does not mean they do not exist).

There may be some software-based, SIP softphone clients for PDAs, (Symbol makes some Windows Mobile PDA/barcode scanners that might have some softphone capabilities www.symbol.com ). But with typical PDAs, I believe that you will be swapping batteries quite frequently, they are typically not very rugged, and this approach probably will not be worth pursuing.

As an alternative, you may want to look into if your SIP provider is able to support SIP trunking OR you might find out if their premise equipment that can accept a T1 from another PBX (or in the case of Cisco Call Manager, a voice T1 port on a Cisco 2800 series router).

You could run a small Cisco Call Manager Express installation on a 2800 series Cisco router that would talk to the 7920 wireless phones and then trunk over to your hosted service premise equipment via a SIP trunk or a T1 voice port on the router. If you already have a Cisco Call manager system (and you don't mind keeping the SmartNet going on it) you could still use Cisco Call Manager to control the WiFi phones and then trunk over to the hosted provider's premise equipment via SIP or a voice T1. You would still need to use a Cisco router as the T1 gateway and, possibly may require it to provide SIP gateway functionality if the hosting service's premise equipment cannot be a SIP gateway to the Cisco phone system.

You will need to have someone knowledgable on Cisco VoIP as well as some SIP knowledge to pull this off.

Even then, keep in mind that SIP is not necessarily out-of-the-box plug-and-play ready. Even if can work through any interoperability issues and you establish connectivity, the types of features you may end up with may be simply answering and placing calls with not much else.

(Your mileage may vary)

Linksys has SIP 802.11 consumer grade phones.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card