Views
Helpful
Replies

7921 and WLC

fdubus
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to connect the 7921 Wireless phones on a WLC SSID and association fails...

I know there is a world mode option on autonomous APs that corresponds to Dynamic Transmit Power Control (DTPC) on WLCs but it seems to be activated by default.

Is there any other options to make it work?

Thanks by advance.

\Fran?ois

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes WPA versions 1 and 2 require 802.1x, which in turn requires username and password.

However the 2 supported 802.1x methods on 7921 currently are LEAP and EAP-FAST.

AKM mode will use LEAP for 802.1x.

The phone also supports open w/ optional WEP, shared, WPA-PSK versions 1 and 2 as well as CCKM for fast roaming, which is recommended when using 802.1x authentication.

The controller only allows CCKM with TKIP encryption, but phone supports both WEP and TKIP for CCKM.

CCKM not supported currently w/ AES encryption.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

migilles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes 802.11d is enabled by default on airespace and would be required for -W 7921G models.

See the 7921G deployment guide or WLAN SRND for more info.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_ipphon/english/wip7921/7921dply.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/solution/emblty30.pdf

rlewandowski
Level 1
Level 1

I am just working on my 7921 test phone this morning. I have a 4402 WLC and have it working using WPA2 with 802.1x.

Can you provide details of what security you are attempting to use?

Also, you probably already have this set correctly, but the SSID is case specific so make sure that is correct.

Lew

Hi Rod,

I would just like to know what 802.1X EAP type you succeeded with?

I can't see how the 7921 can utilise anything other than password-based methods with WPA/WPA2.

Thanks,

Justin

Yes WPA versions 1 and 2 require 802.1x, which in turn requires username and password.

However the 2 supported 802.1x methods on 7921 currently are LEAP and EAP-FAST.

AKM mode will use LEAP for 802.1x.

The phone also supports open w/ optional WEP, shared, WPA-PSK versions 1 and 2 as well as CCKM for fast roaming, which is recommended when using 802.1x authentication.

The controller only allows CCKM with TKIP encryption, but phone supports both WEP and TKIP for CCKM.

CCKM not supported currently w/ AES encryption.

I got sidetracked on another project so I haven't had a chance to look at this in a while. Currently, the 7921 phones are using LEAP to connect with a username and password. My wireless controller shows the security polices for that WLAN as WPA2 with 802.1x. When I look at my ACS logs it shows the phone authenticating with username/password over LEAP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card