Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

7921 roaming between 2.4 and 5ghz

Hi

is it working and supported that i use AP1240AG aps where both frequencys are configured for voice that the 7921 can roam between 2.4 and 5ghz?

for example i mount an AP inside a Hall 2.4ghz and 5ghz antennas outside the building for outdoor coverage?

regards Bernhard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: 7921 roaming between 2.4 and 5ghz

I would suggest doing the opposite. 5 GHz for indoor and 2.4 for outdoor if 5 GHz outdoor is not feasible.

Yes the 7921 can roam across bands while sustaining a phone call using a single network profile. But the roam will not be seamless. First will have to exhaust the current BSS, then look to the other mode. If roaming to 5 GHz, may take a little longer vs 2.4 due to # of channels and 802.11h requirements for scanning DFS channels. So ideally would want to use a single band for seamless roaming. If wanting to use both bands, then need to set the user expectations that there may be a couple second gap when roaming.

The other topic is that the phone supports 5 different modes, where preference can be given to a particular band w/ or w/o fallback. If the phone falls back to the less desired band, then it will not keep monitoring the preferred band if associated to the less desired band and there is sufficient signal and low packet loss.

So to ensure the phones get to the correct band, ensure only that band is available in that area.

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

I would suggest doing the opposite. 5 GHz for indoor and 2.4 for outdoor if 5 GHz outdoor is not feasible.

Yes the 7921 can roam across bands while sustaining a phone call using a single network profile. But the roam will not be seamless. First will have to exhaust the current BSS, then look to the other mode. If roaming to 5 GHz, may take a little longer vs 2.4 due to # of channels and 802.11h requirements for scanning DFS channels. So ideally would want to use a single band for seamless roaming. If wanting to use both bands, then need to set the user expectations that there may be a couple second gap when roaming.

The other topic is that the phone supports 5 different modes, where preference can be given to a particular band w/ or w/o fallback. If the phone falls back to the less desired band, then it will not keep monitoring the preferred band if associated to the less desired band and there is sufficient signal and low packet loss.

So to ensure the phones get to the correct band, ensure only that band is available in that area.

Thanks for the fast answer!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content