cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

7925G and WLC power level question

Hello all,

I have a question in regards to the 7925G and WLC power levels.

Currently we have a very dense deployment.

Just a brief overview of our WLC config:

Version: 7.0.220.0

Phones strictly using 5Ghz band

Channels being used: 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161

Max power level: 30 dbm

Min power level: -10

Data Rates: 6, 9 disabled | 12 Mandatory | 18, 24, 36, 48, 54 Supported

My question is, most of our AP's are at power level 7, what kind of effect does this have on the 7925G's?  I know that the deployment guide specifies using Max power level: 16 dbm and min power level: 11 dbm.  I'm afraid to do this because of such a dense deployment

I get complaints about audio going out during a conversation or when a user picks answers a call, they can't hear the person on the other side.

Thank You

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Firstly, upgrade your WLC to

Firstly, upgrade your WLC to version 7.0.250.0.

Read this:  Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7925G, 7925G-EX, and 7926G
Deployment Guide

VIP Purple

Hi Are you sure that most of

Hi 

Are you sure that most of AP's power level 7 in 5GHz band ?

You can set 14dBm max & 8dBm min in one place & see what is the difference it makes. I would capture before & after power level screenshot of 802.11a/n  to verify.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Bronze

Hi, If you have a dense

Hi,

If you have a dense deployment then, to ensure packets are exchanged successfully between the Cisco Wireless IP Phone and 
the access point, Dynamic Transmit Power Control (DTPC) should be enabled.

If your APs do not support DTPC then it is better that you use static power management as you are using, but don't set the power of all AP's to same level, tune or limit the power of each AP according to your coverage to recieve better SNR, RSSI.

Beacuse in dense deployment higher power level may increase the noise as well. whereas in open area higher power level is just increase lower reciever (7925G's) senstivity, as per my understanding  It doesn't create any kind of other effect on reciever (7925G's).

Community Member

It sounds like you are ending

It sounds like you are ending up with coverage holes from your access points being turned down too far.  If your access points are mounted much higher then normal and or not evenly distributed they are likely to turn themselves down too far.  If you are concerned about turning them up too far, then I would recommend setting your minimum power level to 2dBm and slowly increasing it until your issues are resolved.  Otherwise I would recommend that you get a site survey done.  You may have too many access points and or they may need to be moved.

I hope this helps.

John

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content