cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

adding 7921 phones in CCM 4.1.3sr2

jasonprescott
Level 1
Level 1

We have just received a demo 7921g phone and I want to add it into call manager, however my current version does not have 7921 telephones ad an available phone type. Does anyone know what the procedure would be to add 7921g phones in my version? Is it as simple as running cmterm-7921-sccp.1-0-2.exe?

16 Replies 16

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jason,

With CCM 4.1.3sr2 you will need to install the Device Pack listed below. This will add support for the 7921G as a selectable phone model/type;

When deploying Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7921G for the first time, you must install the 7921G Device Pack to add the new phone type to Cisco Unified CallManager.

To make the Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7921G available in the Cisco Unified CallManager system, you might need to upgrade your system with the latest DevPack patch for your release of Cisco Unified CallManager. Check the ReadMe file (cmterm-7921-sccp.1-0-1-Readme.htm) that is posted with the firmware version 1.0(1) for more information.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/prod_release_note09186a00807f361c.html

Here is the info for the Device Pack that you will need;

4.1(3)sr1 - 4.1(3)sr4b - **Install device pack 4.1(36)

From this excellent Readme doc for Firmware 1.0.(1);

http://ftp-sj.cisco.com/cisco/crypto/3DES/voice/ip-7900ser/cmterm-7921-sccp.1-0-1-Readme.htm

Hope this helps!

Rob

Yes the other exe is just for installing the phone firmware. Should use 1.0(2) version.

Will need to install the latest devpack for 7921 device support as mentioned above.

Rob,

I have a similar situation but have CM 4.1(3)sr3a and firmware 1.0(3) on the 7921. Are the files the same? or is there a later devpack?

Hi Joe,

There is no newer/later devpack. So if you were to use the one listed you would have to download the 1.0(3) Firmware separatly and upgrade after the devpack has been loaded.

Here is the 1.0(3) Readme;

Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone Model 7921G - Firmware Version 1.0(3)

From this doc;

http://ftp-sj.cisco.com/cisco/crypto/3DES/voice/ip-7900ser/cmterm-7921-sccp.1-0-3-Readme.htm

Hope this helps! (and makes some sense :)

Rob

It might make too much sense. Is it as easy as running the .exe as the installation instructions say? I have not had the opportunity to do this yet on CCM as I am taking over an in place system. Will this modify anything else? Any concerns with doing this through a Remote Connection to the server? Anything else that needs to be done?

Joe

Hi Joe,

You know, it really is as easy as running the .exe and we have used this method at times especially if you don't have any of the specified phones currently in use. Once you have deployed the specified phone model I don't like using the executable method, instead I like downloading the individual Firmware files and applying them on a small "test" group for a while before any wider deployment.

As far as a remote connection to the box goes, we almost never go this route in case anything goes "south" We do use VNC on site to save some time and legwork :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob, it does help. This is the first 7921 I am installing, so it will add the phone "type" to the Call Manager, correct? Should I also run this on the sub or is the pub enough?

Hi Joe,

Just to be clear, we are talking about two requirements here. You need to install the Device Package (see readme) to add support for the 7921 in CCM. Here is a clip of the install notes;

Perform the following procedure to install Cisco Unified CallManager Device Package X.X.exe:

1. Download the ciscocm-4-1-DevPack-X.X.exe file to your hard drive. Make a note of the location where you saved the file.

2. Double-click on the downloaded file to begin the installation.

3. Click Yes when the installation process displays a message that asks if you want to install this Device Package.

4. The remainder of the installation process continues without any additional user input.

5. Towards the end of the install it will prompt you "Update ALL devices firmware defaults?", (IMPORTANT) If you click "yes", it will change the default firmware load for all devices to the latest load packaged with this device pack, click "no" if you want to change the loads manually yourself later.

Note: In order to change the loads manually, you do NOT need to reinstall this Device Package. The new files will be present in the C:\Program Files\Cisco\TFTPPath folder. Go to CCMAdmin->System->Device Defaults and manually change the name of the load file (for specific device(s)) to the new load and click UPDATE. Next, reset the affected devices for them to upgrade to the new load.

The system will ask you if you want to view the logfile when the installation is complete.

6. Verify that the installation completed successfully by taking the following actions:

a. When the system prompts you to view the log file, if the number of errors listed in the dialog is "0", you can select No.

b. If the number of errors detected was greater than 0, select Yes to view the logfile and scroll down to the end of the log file. The errors section at the bottom of the log file will be updated with a corresponding severity.

c. Reset affected devices in order for them to obtain new firmware loads, or reboot the cluster.

Note: If the TFTP server is a separate server from the Publisher, the Cisco TFTP service needs to be stopped and restarted on the TFTP server before performing this step, unless the cluster (including the TFTP server) is being rebooted.

From this doc;

http://ftp-sj.cisco.com/cisco/crypto/3DES/voice/callmgr/4.1/ciscocm.4-1-DevPack-43_readme.htm

With the install of the devpak Step # 5 is very important. You probably don't want to change all of your existing phones firmware so be careful to answer NO if you don't want all models (7940/7960/7941/7961 etc) to have their default load updated.

After the devpak has been installed you can do a separate Firmware upgrade on the 7921G.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob,

It does help, as I have already upgraded the firmware of the phone manually. The issue I have been having is it being available as a type in the CM.

In reading the readme for the devpack, it appears a reboot is needed before the device is available, any experience there?

Joe

Hi Joe,

Good stuff! Yes, I think all CCM Pub and Subs will need a reboot after the devpak install. I think once that has been done you will find that the 7921 is now available to use. Make sure that you schedule a maintenance window for this work if at all possible as there is likely to be some call disruption. Shouldn't be too bad at all or take too long :)

Best of luck,

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for all your input, it is great to know there are professionals out there like you who like to help.

Joe

Yes will need to install any devpack, patch on every single server in the cluster.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Joe,

You are most welcome! Please let us know how this all works out for you. People really seem to love the new 7921. Always good to have happy users :)

Take care,

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts......

Hi Rob,

i wanted to ask you about the 7921G:

do you know if it can read a picture sent by an IP Videophone?i want to put aan IP camera with an IP phone at the entrance of a building, then the visitor call the extension of a 7921G, the 7921G see the picture of his visitor and order then the door to open, talk with him...(like interphone). Do you know if it is feasible?can i download a software on the 7921G in order to do that?

Many thanks,

Myriam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card