We are having difficulty connecting new AP's to our environment. We had a consultant who is no longer available help us setup our environment. He used a text file to upload into the AP's when setting them up so they would work in our environment. There may be other steps we are not aware of that he performed when setting the AP's up which may be our downfall.
Description of environment:
* 5 different sites. 4 of the sites (which are working) each have at least two or more AP's.
* Each site has a different subnet altogether. 10.1.2.0 vs 10.1.3.0 etc.
* Wireless Access Points used - Aironet 1200 series - specifically 1231G's:
* * Product/Model Number: AIR-AP1231G-A-K9
* * System Software Filename: c1200-k9w7-tar.123-8.JEA
* * Cisco Aironet Desktop Utility Version 220.127.116.116 on laptops
* * A profile used with the ADU to connect to the AP's ( xyz.prf ). This profile is simply imported into the client using the ADU software and then activated allowing access to any AP at any site. This seems to be a binary file of some sort.
* I am pretty sure that the AP's are not authenticating with any servers in our environment.
What we are attempting to do:
* We are trying to configure several new AP's to be used at the 5th site by modifying existing config files and uploading them to the new AP's. In doing so, we are simply changing the IP address and subnet information and the "name" of the AP and uploading the modified config file to the new AP.
* The new AP's seem to take the config file just fine, they can be reached from the ethernet interface via a web browser and all attempts to reconcile their information with other existing AP's does not seem to reveal any missing configuration information.
* We are doing this in advance of the site coming onto our network so we have that much less to do when we go live.
Description of issue:
* The client card appears to associate with the AP (from the client perspective anyway), but does not acquire an IP address. I have not verified if the AP actually notes that the card is associated.
* New new AP does not appear to see the other adjacent AP's.
* Other AP's do not appear to see the new AP as being adjacent.
* Is there a utility that is used to create the client profile?
* If so, does the new AP information somehow need to be inserted into the client profile file?
* Are there other steps necessary to integrate the AP's after uploading the config file?
* The new site is not yet on the same network with our other sites. Might the AP's need to be on the same network in order for them to function correctly?