cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 2700

pdara0001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, Currently, I just bought Aironet 2700 (AIR-CAP2702I-A-K9). At that time,
I really don't know that this aironet use controller based, and my goal is just
to use it normally as Access point without using Controller based. So in this case,
There is a way to convert this device controller based(Aironet 2700) to become
standalone device (without using controller based). I am really grateful all
your answer to help me. Thank

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have a 2700, console into the AP and enter the command "config ap autonomous".  

The AP will boot and load into autonomous.

Can this be done over the network or does it need to be done via the serial console?  I SSH'd in, typed "configure" as my first command, and the AP responded:

AP58f3.9cc4.9df4>configure
                 ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

So I did an "enable 15" and asked for which commands I can do:

AP58f3.9cc4.9df4>enable 15 
Password: 
AP58f3.9cc4.9df4#?
Exec commands:
  <1-99>           Session number to resume
  access-profile   Apply user-profile to interface
  capwap           capwap exec commands
  cd               Change current directory
  debug            Debugging functions (see also 'undebug')
  dir              List files on a filesystem
  disable          Turn off privileged commands
  do-exec          Mode-independent "do-exec" prefix support
  enable           Turn on privileged commands
  exit             Exit from the EXEC
  help             Description of the interactive help system
  led              LED functions
  lock             Lock the terminal
  logging          Handles logging operations
  login            Log in as a particular user
  logout           Exit from the EXEC
  lwapp            lwapp exec commands
  monitor          Monitoring different system events
  more             Display the contents of a file
  name-connection  Name an existing network connection
  no               Disable debugging functions
  partition        Partition disk
  ping             Send echo messages
  pwd              Display current working directory
  send             Send a message to other tty lines
  show             Show running system information
  systat           Display information about terminal lines
  terminal         Set terminal line parameters
  traceroute       Trace route to destination
  undebug          Disable debugging functions (see also 'debug')
  verify           Verify a file
  where            List active connections

It appears that "configure ap" isn't a valid command, at least not over SSH.  I forgot to write down the version number, but is it possible that I need to upgrade the firmware?  I know how to do TFTP (had to do that to upgrade some of our existing SG300 series switches) but I can't seem to download the new firmware from the Cisco website in order to put it onto our TFTP server.

Hi Chris,

You can try that command once you enter the below. Give it a try & see.

AP58f3.9cc4.9df4#debug capwap console cli

See below guide

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/15-3-3/configuration/guide/cg15-3-3/cg15-3-3-chap1-overview.html#pgfId-1065581

When booting up a 1530, 1700, or a 2700 series AP for the first time, it will boot up with a unified mode software image. To deploy the AP in an autonomous network, use following command from the AP console or telnet to force AP to reboot using autonomous mode software image.
capwap ap autonomous

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ***

I was able to SSH in and did the debug capwap console cli.

AP58f3.9cc4.9df4#debug capwap console cli

And then did

capwap ap autonomous followed by reload (saving the settings and confirming the reload)

I think it was still coming up in CAPWAP mode.  Normally I can do a configure terminal interface dot11radio 0 (or 1) and have control over the radios, but dot11radio wasn't an option.

I looked at one of the other threads (Aironet 2702 in Autonomous mode) and did a configure terminal followed by boot manual and reload.  I think I've bricked it now, at least network-wise.  :-/  I restarted it about 25 minutes ago; it's not at the IP address that it was before and it hasn't requested a DHCP address either.

Any ideas?  Can I use the mode button to reset it?

Hi

Yes, you can first try to reset the configuration using mode button as shown below.Monitor the console output & see.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/15-3-3/configuration/guide/cg15-3-3/cg15-3-3-chap22-trouble.html#pgfId-1036746

Step 1 Disconnect power (the power jack for external power or the Ethernet cable for in-line power) from the access point.

Step 2 Press and hold the MODE button while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 3 Hold the MODE button until the Status LED turns blue.

Step 4 After the access point reboots, you must reconfigure the access point by using the Web-browser interface or the CLI.

If that is not success & still 2700 not booting properly, then you can try loading image via TFTP & mode button method. Steps listed here

http://mrncciew.com/2013/12/13/ap-conversion-using-mode-button/

In both case log the console output & attach it if that's not working.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hi Rasika.  Thank you for taking the time to help me with this issue.

I'm still having problems trying to get it to boot in autonomous mode.  I wonder if the problem is that the firmware is older (see the attachment on the previous post, it shows version 15.2(4)JB5, although the configuration guide is written for 15.3.3).  I purchased the AP a couple of weeks ago, so maybe it's been sitting in inventory for a while.

Once it gets an IP address and finishes booting, the web browser interface isn't available.  Logging in via SSH or on the console, I can enter debug capwap console cli (after doing enable).  I then enter capwap ap autonomous, but it seems to yield different results.  Over SSH, it just returns with the prompt, but on the console it returns with the prompt and then a few moments later also says "Command not supported on this platform".  I did a reset by holding the mode button until the LED turned solid blue but it still seems to want to come up in CAPWAP mode.

I tried doing a show config but it replies with "startup-config is not present".  I then did copy running-config startup-config and it prompted "Destination filename [startup-config]?"  I pressed <enter> but it still thinks that startup-config is not there, even after doing a reload.

Unfortunately, I don't have an image to re-flash it with.  If I get another 2700 (I eventually need to purchase another anyway), would it be possible to TFTP the image out of it and then copy the image onto the one that I'm having problems with?

When you purchase the other 2702 make sure you get it with "ap3g2-k9w7-tar.153-3.JAB.tar" image on it. Then you do not want to do this conversion.

Unfortunately I do not have this model AP to test it & give you exact step by step guide. But as per the document it should work  with that given single command.

***** Pls do not forget to rate our responses if you find them useful ****

HTH

Rasika

Hi Rasika.  Thank you for helping.

I don't think there's a way that I can specify what firmware version it will ship with.  I just chatted with Cisco support and they won't help unless it's under warranty (which it should be since I just bought it).  I asked if I could provide a copy of the receipt but got the standard "Please contact your Cisco Account Team, Partner, or Reseller to obtain your current support contract number" response.

Here's hoping that the next 2702 will have a newer firmware version on it, or else I'll be in the same situation again.

Hi Rasika.  Thank you for your assistance.

After building a cable to go from the RJ-45 console port to a DB-9 serial port so I can see the comms, it turns out that I didn't actually brick it, but because I did a boot manual it was waiting for the console to issue a boot command and the LED was flashing green.  I did a boot (from the console) followed by a no boot manual (via SSH once the LED went to solid green) and then did a write memory (to save the config) and reload (to reboot).

However, it still seems to be coming up in CAPWAP mode.  I've attached part of the console output.  I've removed the serial number information from line 219 and I had a laptop connected to the access port so that's why it shows GigabitEthernet1 coming up on line 253.

Also, it seems that it thinks that the two radios are bad (see lines 241 and 243 as well as 263 and 265).

Is it because it's an old firmware version (see line 257)?

AP58f3.9cc4.9df4>configure

And you also need to be in enable mode.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card