cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP and switch question for 7925G phones

mark.mclaughlin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Just bought some 7925G phones. First time using these, obviously as I thought they were going to come with a base that plugged into Ethernet and go wireless from there. Alright so now I know that is not the case, and my existing 4410N AP's are not going to work either

Looking at the admin guide, it states, I need.

Cisco Aironet Access Points (APs) configured to support Voice over WLAN (VoWLAN).

and

Controllers and switches configured to support VoWLAN

Looking at the Aironet product specs I don't see any that actually say VOWlan capable. Do all Aironet AP's handle VOWlan?

Do I need a controller?

and finally will I be able to use my existing 2960 POE switches if I don't need a controller?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The 4410N is more of a home / soho router. Do you have a lot of these installed in the office, can you comment on that ?

VoWLAN really means you have a properly designed and configured WLAN. It doesn't mean you need a controller, you could use autonomous access points. 

However I have never worked with your AP. But it seems to me that ap many not be optimal. 

Your should try posting your question is Cisco Small Business Wireless 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/5946/small-business-wireless 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi

I have 4 of these in our main building. 2 on 2 separate floors, and then some other single ones in other buildings, but I am trying to get the phones going in our main building, right now.

The phones do not see the 4410N and I don't see any configuration in them to enable it.

Anyways, maybe Ill try the other area and see if someone knows.

Sounds like the phones aren't configured. Out of the box the phone will connect to an open ssid called 'cisco'. From there you can use the cisco utility to program. Check out the guide Leo shared. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

If the phone is not configured, the fastest way is to download the USB drivers for your computer and connect the phone to your PC using a USB cable.  Drivers and instructions can be downloaded HERE.

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please check whether your IP phone is configured properly or not.

I'd like to but I haven't even been able to address this yet. Was going to get on it again today, but now I am currently googling "how to troubleshoot ATA 187 not working intermittently"

I hope I can get back to this soon.

Appreciate everyones help, regardless, of how quick I am to get this done.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card