Level 1
Level 1

My setup ist the following:

APs 1242

WLC 4402 25 5.2.178

7921 1.3.2Load

a Radio

Authetication CCKM with Local EAP

The Problem is that there is a gap in voice when I roam from one AP to another.

But these problem exist only one time.

When I walk the same way a few minutes oder hours later I can't hear any roaming distortions or something like this.

The RSSI and SNR Values are the whole time OK and I have more than one possible BSSIDs where I can roam to.

When I walk the same way a week later the same problem will occur.

There is a gap in Voice for the first time I walk and the next times i won't hear anything.

So I have read something about Cisco Compatible Extensions Client Roam Triggers and AP assited roaming / enhanced neighbor list.

My question actually is, is there a possibilty to see the list of possibile BSSIDs where I can roam to from an AP.

The next problem is, that I don`t know how long hold the WLC these roaming Information and can I change the Time or disable the lease of information when I don't change the APs or the AP Position.

I think that I have in this environment too few clients that time between the actualisation of the roaming information is to long.

3 Replies 3

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I am working on the same issue as well. We are limiting the channels from 22 to 6 via DCA and then changing the phones to only scan these 6 channels.

I asked my cisco rep about the dwell time and havent heard back. 22 channels is way overkill to have a phone seek out. Not to mention a performance tweak but you should save battery life as well (not much).

I am using the UNII1 and UNII3 channels...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I already had reduced the channels to 8 before and there is still the problem.

Today I tested it again. The first time the client roams while following a specific path, there will be a voice gap. Any other roaming attempts along that path will be working fine. Do I use another phone or restart the phone there will be the gap again, so I come to the conclusion it couldn't be a problem with the lease time of roaming information or cache on the ap or controller.

It seems so that only the list in the 7921 decides where are good roaming possibilities.

Are there any informations about these list in the phone. How big it could be or how long the phone will save it? Will the problem be solved when i never power off the phone?

Are the aps on the same controller or on different controllers?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin