cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

(AVC) Is there Any way to prioritize traffic from wireless client (laptop in my case) to AP

vinod rathore
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to prioritize traffic from wireless client (laptop in my case) to AP …. if i explain the issue in a broad way there is no congestion going on in wired network. When multiple users connect to real presence and all share the same AP. they get real-time output over the call BUT if someone start file-transfer over the same AP the real presence call voice/video get stuck.

I applied the AVC feature on WLC but as i tested, i think prioritization from my laptop to AP will not happen and the situation remains same.

Please share if there is any way to prioritize traffic from wireless client (Laptop) to AP only ?

26 Replies 26

Do a wireshark when this is transfer is happening. Make sure it looks like this Mircosoft-DS.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Sure .. here is capture

so this should drop traffic ..right ?

Regards :

Vinod :-)

Where did you sniff this before the WLC or after the WLC? Yes, i would think it would drop the traffic ..

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Hi Jeorge,

Given captured snap had been taken from Laptop which is acting as wireless client .. i mean the same Laptop initiating traffic and sending to AP while doing so i captured the traffic on same.

Regards :

Hi Vinod,

Provide your WLC "show sysinfo" output to check few things on your WLC

Rasika

(Cisco Controller) >show sysinfo

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.

Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller

Product Version.................................. 7.4.100.60

Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.18

Field Recovery Image Version..................... 7.4.1.30

Firmware Version................................. PIC 15.0

Build Type....................................... DATA + WPS

System Name...................................... Confidential

System Location..................................

System Contact...................................

System ObjectID.................................. 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1279

IP Address....................................... Confidential

Last Reset....................................... Software reset

System Up Time................................... 2 days 11 hrs 29 mins 2 secs

System Timezone Location.........................Confidential

System Stats Realtime Interval................... 5

System Stats Normal Interval..................... 180

--More-- or (q)uit

Configured Country............................... IN  - India

Operating Environment............................ Commercial (0 to 40 C)

Internal Temp Alarm Limits....................... 0 to 65 C

Internal Temperature............................. +30 C

External Temperature............................. +34 C

Fan Status....................................... 3608 rpm

State of 802.11b Network......................... Enabled

State of 802.11a Network......................... Enabled

Number of WLANs.................................. 5

Number of Active Clients......................... 143

Memory Current Usage............................. Unknown

Memory Average Usage............................. Unknown

CPU Current Usage................................ Unknown

CPU Average Usage................................ Unknown

Burned-in MAC Address............................ D0:C2:82:E0:47:40

Maximum number of APs supported.................. 25

Hi Vinod,

I wanted to check the FUS version of your controller to make sure it has the correct firmware to support AVC on 2500.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/fus_1_8_0_0.html

If you are using a Cisco 2500 Series Controller and you upgrade to the 7.4.100.0 controller software release and intend to use the Application Visibility and Control (AVC) and NetFlow protocol features, you must install Cisco Unified Wireless Network Field Upgrade Software, Release 1.8.0.0. This release is not required if you are using other controller hardware models.

It seems you have correct firmware with that respect based on your WLC bootloader version.

Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.18

Though it is not to AVC related the recommended/stable code in 7.4.x train is 7.4.121.0 (7.4MR2). This is the code you want to be if you are planning to stay in 7.4.x for long.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn74mr02.html

I would suggest to upgrade to that code & check this again. If you are 100% certain microsoft-ds is not getting block by AVC rule, I would suggest to open a TAC case & get their view

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Just wanted to know is there any welknown tool which can mark traffic as per defined rule on the PC ?

Regards :

Steve, Rasi, George, Scott and Vinod.

We are looking at this in the wrong angle.  If Vinod want to limit MSDS traffic then he's looking at this in the wrong direction.

The best/ideal or strategic place to QoS your MSDS traffic is in the router or Layer 3 switch where the default gateway is located.

AVC will only see what traffic you've got and either DROP the packet or put it into a counter (and let it through).

Hi Leo,

I think Vinod objective is not block MSDS across the board. Here is what I interpret

"Since he noticed Polycom Raal Presence video call get freeze when a wireless user use MSDS fileshare, he would like to block it for wireless user using AVC & see if that help to improve video over wireless. But he cannot block this application for wireless using AVC"

Vinod: Pls clarify as you are best person to clarify your requirement

Rasika

Hi Rasika,

I am not suggesting he block MSDS.  I am merely suggesting if he wants to effectively configure QoS to SLOW DOWN MSDS then the WLC is not the ideal place.

Hi Vinod,

Here is the AVC & QoS interaction for upstream & downstream traffic. For downstream it is important you have configured your WLAN with correct QoS profile & 802.1p values as that play a role even though you marking traffic using AVC.

Upstream

1. Packet comes with or without inner DSCP from wireless side (wireless client).

2. AP will add DSCP in the CAPWAP header that is configured on WLAN (QoS based config).

3. WLC will remove CAPWAP header.

4. AVC module on the controller will overwrite the DSCP to the configured marked value in the AVC profile and send it out.

Downstream

1. Packet comes from switch with or without inner DSCP wired side value.

2. AVC module will overwrite the inner DSCP value.

3. Controller will compare WLAN QoS configuration (as per 802.1p value that is actually 802.11e) with inner DSCP value that NBAR had overwritten. WLC will choose the lesser value and put it into CAPWAP header for DSCP.

4. WLC will send out the packet to AP with QoS WLAN setting on the outer CAPWAP and AVC inner DSCP setting.

5. AP strips the CAPWAP header and sends the packet on air with AVC DSCP setting; if AVC was not applied to an application then that application will adopt the QoS setting of the WLAN.

I am not sure which controller software version you are running. From AVC perspective, it is good if you could install latest NBAR protocol pack (4.1 for WLC 7.5.x code or 6.3 for WLC 7.6.x code) on your controller.

Here is the 7.5.x AVC deployment guide which should help you on this

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7.5/AVC_dg7point5.html

Like others mentioned, it is very little you can do with respect to upstream direction as AVC kicks in only when traffic hits WLC & not at the AP level.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses  ****

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card