cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

(AVC) Is there Any way to prioritize traffic from wireless client (laptop in my case) to AP

vinod rathore
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to prioritize traffic from wireless client (laptop in my case) to AP …. if i explain the issue in a broad way there is no congestion going on in wired network. When multiple users connect to real presence and all share the same AP. they get real-time output over the call BUT if someone start file-transfer over the same AP the real presence call voice/video get stuck.

I applied the AVC feature on WLC but as i tested, i think prioritization from my laptop to AP will not happen and the situation remains same.

Please share if there is any way to prioritize traffic from wireless client (Laptop) to AP only ?

26 Replies 26

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When multiple users connect to real presence and all share the same AP. they get real-time output over the call BUT if someone start file-transfer over the same AP the real presence call voice/video get stuck.

AVC is not used for "prioritization" of traffic.  AVC is like a "filter".  AVC identified the type of traffic and administrator have the option to allow or deny the traffic.

If you want to prioritize voice/video traffic above anything else then you need to configure QoS properly on the WLC.

Hi Leo,

i agree .. but my question is still moving around ...

1. If we are setting marking level under AVC profile then higher marking should take priority it means somewhere voice/video traffic which is being marked by DSCP 46 should take precedence and in this way voice/video should not be stuck while congetion... isn't it ?

2. Let's say its not prioritized even though the file-transfer should be denied as per last entry in AVC profile ..

Have a look in below configuration ...

Hope it would make more clear my query.......

Vinod,

Ok, my first post went down wrong.  So let me spell this out for you ...

You want to prioritize SPECIFIC data traffic?  Stop looking at the WLC because the WLC will NOT BE ABLE to do what you are tying to do.  You are "barking up the wrong tree". 

If you want to prioritize specific data traffic you must do so on your ROUTER. 

When multiple users connect to real presence and all share the same AP. they get real-time output over the call BUT if someone start file-transfer over the same AP the real presence call voice/video get stuck.

A few things to consider:

1.  What is the model of your AP?

2.  What speed and duplex is the AP in question negotiating to the wired network?

3.  HOW MANY wireless clients attached to the AP before people start seeing issues?

Hi Leo,

1. AIR-LAP1042N-N-K9

2. 100Mbps Full-Duplex

3. 7-10 users

Regards :

Vinod :-)

100 Mbps and full duplex???

The behaviour of your wireless when you hit the "peak" of 7 to 10 users is NORMAL. Have you tried sticking the AP to a GigabitEthernet port and observing?

I mean 100 Mbps is the BOTTLENECK.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

During the peak even Rx and Tx load on AP connected interface doesn't go beyond txload 20/255, rxload 25/255

I don't think there is any bottleneck .. also checked on WLC connected interface and the same thing i got.....

Vinod,

Prove me wrong then. Connect the AP to a GigabitEthernet port and prove me wrong.

Hi Leo,

Lets say 5 users are using video conf out of 7 even though 1.5Mbps x 5 users = 7.5Mbps b/w required ..

and thats what i see proportional Tx and Rx load on interface so i don't think that would make any improvement ...

Anyway very soon i would change it to Gig and check if this helps ...

Please explain why you are so confident to go for Gig connection ? have you seen same issue earlier somewhere ?

Regards :

Vinod,

If I don't know my wireless, I would say I agree with your explanation. Unfortunately, you missed one vital information about the difference between wireless and wired network.

Wireless transmission is like a HUB. When one wireless clients talk, for example, all the rest must WAIT and listen for their turn. If you have seven wireless clients doing video streaming, everyone else have to stop transmission, wait and listen for their turn. And the time for their turn can be longer because of the iinherit continuous video traffic.

Now, add to the mix the fact that you are doing continuous traffic to a FastEthernet speed on video. Now normally, I would say this kind of interface speed is OK when you are doing, for example, web browsing and/or email. But video traffic? I don't care what explanation you've got. It just won't wash.

And just to re-inforce what I'm talking about, I'm not just a wireless guy. I do LAN/WAN and do a little bit of voice too.

Forgot another thing: The AP you're currently using, 1040, is the SLOWEST of the 802.11n models. 1040 is only 2 x 2 MIMO. Even the older 1140 is slightly better with 2 x 3 MIMO.

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Adding to Leo,

You also need to configure the software on the laptop to send the appropriate QoS values.  If the device doesn't send the correct mark on the packets there isn't anything that can be done until it hits the WLC and the AVC profile remarks the packet, or you run it through a policy-map on the switch side.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

AVC wont deny that traffic, unless you use DROP and that drop is specific for that application not all file sharing. What is microsoftds exactly ?

Again, like Leo and Steve mentioned. The WLC uses NBAR and ID's an application and says "hey your are voice app XYZ and I need to change your markings". This is good for clients that don't mark, like laptops (Steve is on target). know that the marking happens at the WLC and not the AP.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Microsoft-DS is layer4 protocol uses TCP port 445 and being used by microsoft operating system when we copy files.

I can see this protocol in capture when i do file copy so as per AVC profile setting related traffic should be dropped ... but it's not.

i don't know where i am missing ?

Regards :

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card