cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

B/G vs. N an APs

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

At work (as a first call responder)  I am troubleshooting choppy video feeds over wireless, and while I am not big into wireless knowledge, my question is if we have an AP (Merus) which can handle A and B/G and N...if we have clients connected to B/G and/or A, then do the N clients still connect at N speeds (to the same AP) or do they dumb down their connection speeds to match that of the lowest connecting client?

Very far back in my memory I seem to remember something like this, but am not sure.

Thank you

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I guess you can say "dumb down":) the radio has to play nice in order for the slower devices to be able to communicate. The main issue is the half duplex and the back off timers. Here is a good link, look under share bandwidth.

http://its.uiowa.edu/apps2/support/article/2168

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Typically, they will keep there own connection rates.  The problem is that the 'faster' clients have to wait for the 'slower' clients to finish transmitting before they can send.

Make sense?

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Like Steve mentioned, you will not see slower connection rate, but they will have to slow down for the slower users.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I guess you can say "dumb down":) the radio has to play nice in order for the slower devices to be able to communicate. The main issue is the half duplex and the back off timers. Here is a good link, look under share bandwidth.

http://its.uiowa.edu/apps2/support/article/2168

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Typically, they will keep there own connection rates.  The problem is that the 'faster' clients have to wait for the 'slower' clients to finish transmitting before they can send.

Make sense?

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Yes, wow, quick response, ty, so it will defintely impact their throughput rates.

Say a N client connected to an say AP1 (with dual band A, B/G, N capabilities), all by himself, it should see good rates.

Now, lets say a 1 A client and 1 B client connect to the same AP1, will the N client thoughput see slower rates exclusively based solely on these clients connecting?

Thank you,

Like Steve mentioned, you will not see slower connection rate, but they will have to slow down for the slower users.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Aye aye, thanks all.

Update:    I suggested that they turn B/G off and use N exclusively in this schools lab, that worked. 

Message was edited by: Jimmy Sands

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card