Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Can't do image recovery on 1250

Hi,

First of all I've read the link https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14636 and a lot of other pages.

What I have on the AP is:

ap: set

CRASH_LOG=yes

DEFAULT_ROUTER=10.0.0.1

ENABLE_BREAK=no

IOS_DEFAULT_DOMAIN_NAME=company.local

IOS_STATIC_DEFAULT_GATEWAY=10.4.254.1

IP_ADDR=10.0.0.1

MANUAL_BOOT=no

NETMASK=255.255.255.224

ROM_PERSISTENT_UTC=1298238069

TERMLINES=0

(I also have these lines as a wild shoot)

SERVER=10.0.0.3

TFTP_SERVER=10.0.0.3

so AP is default setting

I've also run the commmands:

load_helper

flash_init

ether_init

tftp_init

and then:

ap: tar -xtract tftp://10.0.0.3/c1250-rcvk9w8-tar.152-4.JB3.tar.default flash:

tftp://10.0.0.3/c1250-rcvk9w8-tar.152-4.JB3.tar.default: connection timed out

However no matter what I try it can't find the TFTP server. Which is really strange since I get an arp entry in the AP

ap: arp

255.255.255.255  ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff  0  40

10.0.0.3  f0:de:f1:17:29:7a  0  230

On the TFTP server (just a regular laptop) I've shut down the windows firewall (it's works with other devices so it's now a tftp server or FW issue).

What gets me really confused is I don't see an arp entry for the AP in the computer. I've tried with and without gateway (with the AP being the gateway and another address). I've tried with static arp entries and no matter what I do I can't find the AP on the computer. I've also had wireshark running on the interface on the computer that runs the tftp server I haven't seen anything from the ap at all. The AP doesn't respond to arp request from the computer (I've seen this in wireshark).

Anyone know what can cause all this and how it might be resolved. I can't be a physical conenction issue can it since I get the arp entry on the AP.

Thankful for any help.

• Wireless IP Voice and Video
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

Re: Can't do image recovery on 1250

Hi Peter,

Did you try this using mode button ? If not try that method & see

1. Rename your recovery image "c1250-rcvk9w8-tar.152-4.JB3.tar" like "c1250-k9w7-tar.default"

2. Configure your PC 10.0.0.2 with Mask 255.0.0.0 & GW 10.0.0.1 & put that image on a TFTP server running on that PC

3. Directly connect AP ethernet to your PC & power on the AP while pressing the  MODE button

4. Release the mode button after 20-30s & monitor your AP console output

5. You should see AP loaded the recovery image from your TFTP server

This post demonstrate this process & refer it for more detail

http://mrncciew.com/2013/12/13/ap-conversion-using-mode-button/

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

10 REPLIES

Can't do image recovery on 1250

I know I should have this one in "getting started with Wireless", got messed up when I created the post.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

I would change the default gateway or just remove that. If your directly connected to the AP and the AP's IP is 10.0.0.1 just set your IP to 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0 and you need to be able to ping the AP. If that fails, what I have done was connect the AP and laptop to the same Vlan on a switch and keep everything static and try again.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Right now my connection is AP - power injectior - Computer. Could the power injector mess things up. And does a 1252 AP really respond to ping? It can't do ping itself, not in rommon mode where I'm right now with this AP.

It can be the case.... if you have a switch, connect that power injector to the switch and your PC to the switch on the same vlan.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

I used either a switch (got a switch that supports up to 30W) or a power injector, never both so that shouldn't be an issue then. Since there's no support on these anymore I'm pretty screwed right?

Very thankful for the answers.

Yeah you would be. I still have one that works fine, others like, like Leo on this forum has had a bunch of 1250's fail.

The real question is if the AP has failed or if your just having an issue trying to TFTP an image.

Also try a different TFTP server. One of my peers just ran I to an issue and he tried a different TFTP and it worked. I use 3CDeamon and have no issues.

VIP Purple

Hi Peter,

Did you try this using mode button ? If not try that method & see

1. Rename your recovery image "c1250-rcvk9w8-tar.152-4.JB3.tar" like "c1250-k9w7-tar.default"

2. Configure your PC 10.0.0.2 with Mask 255.0.0.0 & GW 10.0.0.1 & put that image on a TFTP server running on that PC

3. Directly connect AP ethernet to your PC & power on the AP while pressing the  MODE button

4. Release the mode button after 20-30s & monitor your AP console output

5. You should see AP loaded the recovery image from your TFTP server

This post demonstrate this process & refer it for more detail

http://mrncciew.com/2013/12/13/ap-conversion-using-mode-button/

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Cheers for the tip, that solved my problem. I want to make one note though. When I looked at the AP and it said "button is pressed, wait for button to be released..." If you release it right away it will not goo looking for the TFTP server, I had to hold a bit extra in order for it to move there, in my case I went for 40 seconds, but after that it worked like a charm.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.