cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2500 Series Wireless Controller configuration help

jason0923
Level 1
Level 1

We're using a Cisco 2500 Series Wireless Controller for the facility wireless and its running 2 SSID's public and private. Whoever set it up set up the public and private on the same subnet 10.1.110.x and clients are getting DHSP from an ASA that's the buildings firewall that I have no access to. (Its managed by third party) My question is we want to have the public and private on different subnets or at the very least the public one. I haven't worked with this model before but see it has a DHCP option in the Cisco 2500 Series Wireless Controller. Can I enable that and set a scope that just gives DHCP to the public SSID and if so how? Right now there is a management interface using port 1. I'd like to create a new DHCP scope for just the public netowrk for maybe 192.168.1.x. Ive been reading that maybe I can create a new Interface with a different IP address (I was going to use 192.168.10.254) and also set it to port 1 (that the cable is plugged into) but I've never done this before and am accessing the controller remotelly and need to know if I do this will it cause problems for the existing users and or cut off my access.

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Can I enable that and set a scope that just gives DHCP to the public SSID and if so how?

Depends on how BADLY the WLC is set up.  In my personal opinion it is better to set the WLC into factory default and start from scratch.

Go to Controller > Interface and look for the Dynamic Interface of the public internet.  There should be an option to set DHCP server IP address.

I'd rather not do that since its currently running and Im not an expert at setting them up. under interfaces there is one called management and in there is an option for DHCP server but its using that DHCP server for botht the public and private WLANs so essentiall there is no difference between them. What I wan tto do is have the private network keep using that but the public wlan use the dhcp server on this wireless controller

Hi Jason,

Make a dynamic interface for 192.168.10.x for Public. Make the internal DHCP scope for this.

> Map the SSID to the Public interface.

> Set the Mangement interface ip address as the DHCP server ip address in the configuration of Public interface.

> Public interface would be automatically mapped to the Port 1 (if that is the only one physical port which is connected ) or else you can map public interface to the Port 1.

When you all this , Users connected to the Public SSID will cut off as you are changing the interface. Also make sure that 192.168.10.x is routable in your network. I will suggest for a down time for the users connected to the Public SSID.

Regards

Dhiresh

My recommendation is to create two dynamic interface.  One dynamic interface is for public and the other is for private. 

Create two SSID and map each SSID to each dynamic interface. 

I hope there is already an interface which exists for Private.

kaaftab
Level 4
Level 4

jason this is a very good guide that will help you in configurnig the required result

http://support.spectralink.com/sites/default/files/resource_files/1725-86192-000_AA.pdf

Note:

before proceeding its always wise to take the backup of the current configuration.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card