Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7925 wireless disabling itself

latintrpt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a very strange issue going on in our wireless enviornment.

Every 7925g seems to have the same problem also.

I have one building that is on one side othe street that has a mix of 3502i's and 1242's sitting on a WiSM controller running 7.0.116.0

Across the street, I have 1242's running on a WiSM running 4.2.207.0.  In order to go from one building to the next I have to go outside and cross a freeway bridge. 

The issue I am having with the 7925g is that whenever I cross the bridge to go across the street to the next building or vice versa,  the 7925G wireless NIC some how disables itself.  I'm not sure if the radio gets hosed or what happens.  Basically the only things I can do on the phone are navigate through the menu's.  I can't even get the phone to go into site survey mode.  The only way to get the phone to pick up wireless and connect again is to reboot the phone.  The little wireless symbol at the top stays yellow even though I have adequate coverage in the other building.

Over this bridge I know for a fact our coverage is lacking, but still it shouldn't be locking the radio's on the phone like this.

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sounds like you may be encountering the following defect.

CSCtk58591  792x phone may not reconnect when invalid 5 GHz beacon received

A potential workaround for this issue is to set the phone to 802.11b/g only mode.

Not sure if that is feasible for your environment or not.  But since it is outdoors, maybe you can use 2.4 GHz only?

We do have a private image  based on 1.4(2) that is available for testing; assuming that the workaround to use 802.11b/g only is not a possibility.

Please open a TAC case and they will reach out to me in regards to providing the test image.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

latintrpt
Level 1
Level 1

I have also tested 4 different firmwares.

Sounds like you may be encountering the following defect.

CSCtk58591  792x phone may not reconnect when invalid 5 GHz beacon received

A potential workaround for this issue is to set the phone to 802.11b/g only mode.

Not sure if that is feasible for your environment or not.  But since it is outdoors, maybe you can use 2.4 GHz only?

We do have a private image  based on 1.4(2) that is available for testing; assuming that the workaround to use 802.11b/g only is not a possibility.

Please open a TAC case and they will reach out to me in regards to providing the test image.

Thanks.

Thank You very much!!

That is exactly the bug we are hitting.  After hard setting the phone to b/g only mode the phone wireless nic does not freeze.  Ideally we want to be on "a" because we pretty much have "a" everywhere.

I already have a tac case open and I will be forwarding this info to my engineer so he can release code to us.

Thanks again!

+5 Mig ..!

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

migilles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ok please have the TAC engineer reach out to the internal BU support alias and we can provide the private image for your testing.

Also please provide the SR and I will contact the TAC engineer.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Ok, I left him a VM but he hasn't called me back.

Here is the SR 620011489

Thank You!

Firmware 1.4(2) is already out since 30 November 2011.

This is private image based on 1.4.(2)

It doesn't look like the BU wants to release that code to us till I do the following troubleshooting steps:

1. We will need to connect the phone to a laptop through the usb port, so we

can access the phone web page and capture logs. You can get the driver for

this from cisco.com, and the setup guide is here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7925g/7_0/english/administration/guide/7925cfgu.html#wp1352160

(Default user/pass if not configured is admin/Cisco)

2. Under the trace settings in the phone GUI, set the external syslog server

to your USB interface IP on the laptop. This will send the logging to your

laptop (you can use a simple syslog server on the laptop, tftpd32 has one

included that can log to a text file).

3. We are going to set the Kernel, WLAN driver and WLAN Manager to "Info"

from "Error" to increase the message sensitivity. Note that while this

tracing is enabled call quality will likely suffer -- but we need to capture

the roaming logic and scanning.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7925g/7_0/english/administration/guide/7925cfgu.html#wp1333602

4. Reproduce the issue by roaming to the known problem areas with the phone

connected to the laptop.

5. Run the "debug client xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" on the WLCs as well so we have a

matching data point from the WLC perspective.

Frustrating as I know this is the problem because after turning off A on the and leaving the phone on just B/G, the phone wireless nic does that freeze up. 

If you have a Cisco Sales Engineer or Account Manager, escalate to them. 

Hi there.  I have just now reached out to the TAC engineer assigned to your SR and asked to release the private image to you once he creates a BU escalation case.

So you shouldn't have to get the logs that were requested as I have enough info based on your feedback to determine the issue is CSCtk58591.

Once you get the image, please reply to this post with the results.

Thanks.

any update? we were hoping to get this image today if possible.

migilles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please reach out to the TAC engineer.

I provided the link already.

thanks, I do have the link now, but how do I go about installing the firmware, it's a zip file with a whole bunch of files. It doesn't look like a regular firmware file that is usually uploaded to the CUCM. Thank you for all your help! 5 stars!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card