cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8510 wireless controller - vPC ok?

campbech1
Level 1
Level 1

Does the new version 8.0 code allow for the 8500 controllers to be connected via a vPC? I have a new controller that will take over as our primary controller and I'd like to get this 10 Gbps dual connected to each of our core switches.

9 Replies 9

I haven't configure this, but it is supported.

Refer below document as it listed this

LAG while using VSS, or stacked switch (3750/2960) or Nexus VPC, should work as long as the fragments of an IP packet are sent to the same port. The idea is that if you go to multiple switches, the ports must belong to the same L2 “entity” with regard to load balancing decisions.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/wlc/82463-wlc-config-best-practice.html

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add to Rasika's post.  Connecting the 8510 to a single switch with vPC works fine. Connecting to different switches can cause issues. Some of my 8510 implementations is with dual 10gig connecting to a single Nexus with vPC and a backup connected to another Nexus with vPC. 

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott, do you have a document about the problem when you connect the 8510 with vPC to different Nexus? because we have some issues with that. Or any document when Cisco recommends to connect the 8510 to tha same Nexus.

Thanks in advanced,

Milton Tizoc.

Scott,

You mention "backup connected to another Nexus with vPC", is that an HA unit your referring to?

Thanks.

Jeff

Do not split the ports on an 8510 to different Nexus.  The WLC load balancing requires src-dst-ip. Most of my directly connected controllers had lag disabled and I was able to then split the connections to seperate Nexus. If you have multiple 8510's, I would just connect one 8510 to one Nexus and the other 8510 to another. On the controller, you would setup a primary interface and a backup. 

Makes sense?

-Scott

-Scott

It does without an HA but we have an 8510 with an HA so I'm confused as to how the HA will be used in our two N7K vPC infrastructure. 

Appreciate the help.

jeff

A thought, do I connect the primary 8510 to one N7K via vPC and the secondary (HA peer) to the second N7K via vPC?

Thanks again.
Jeff

The RP port should be a back to back connection between the two if your using SSO.  I have not used LAG on the WLC with Nexus.... so again, If you do, then you need to make sure the load balancing is src-dst-ip.

-Scott

-Scott

Got it. Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card