cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco product using 5,7 GHz and external antenna ?

elointernet
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using many AP and BR in 2.4GHz for outdoor connections. I saw that the new product Aironet 1200 can be used with 5,7GHz frequency but it does not have a RF connector for an external antenna.

Will it be available some day with RF connector ? (like AP352R2)

Or, is there any other good solution for this ?

3 Replies 3

michael_r_clark
Level 1
Level 1

Actually, the original intent of the "special" antenna connector was to keep people from mixing-and-matching antennas and amplifiers to defeat the EIRP rules for the the ISM bands. Unfortunately, this did not work very well. You can buy amplifiers on eBay and (illegally) extend your bridge distances quite a ways. In order to stop this, the antenna is now "captive" with its transmitter. Since there is no connector, there can be no "special" configurations. Having said this, you could modify the antenna arrangement somewhat, but then you would be messing with the box. I think it would be great for Cisco to offer an outdoor 5 GHz package that has a weatherproof radio and antenna combination at whatever gain is legal. I don't know of any plans though.

wdrootz
Level 4
Level 4

I believe Cisco is planning on developing a 5.7 Ghz bridge which should incorporate an RF connector. To find out a true answer you could probably contact your local Sales Rep for the information.

For the answer to if a product will be released soon you need to contact your reseller or Account manager, as I dont know what the road map is.

As to why there is a fixed antenna please see this post here

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.ee918f1

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card