cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Wireless Voice Deployment

gregl_2
Level 1
Level 1

What would be the max recommended WLANs on a controller in a wireless voice deployment in the 2.4 band

A band is turned off no antennas

For example  (2) WLC 4402's    (28)  Cisco 1242's with external 2.4 antennas.

At what point do you tell the customer  they have to reduce there wlan's  or they cant add any more.

I know the controllers can handle 16 wlans.  But what is real world application where you say no more or reduce.

A link to a document for recommendation would be great also.

thanks

2 Replies 2

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Greg,

Your question is one that is often asked by customers and folks here on the forums. You may already know, that each SSID you add you create additional traffic utilization on the network. Most dont consider this and think since you can have 16 WLANs its ok! But not the case. I try to keep my customers at 5 or 6 when they insist at having the 1 mb PHY mandatory. However, i do have customers with 7 or 8 SSIDs with the 1 and 2 meg rates disabled. And their network utilization is at 10% or so ...

I hope this helps! If so please rate the post ... much appreciated ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

+5 to you George ...

WLC will allow you to configure up to 512 SSIDs but 24 can be used at any time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card