cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Distacnce and height

jcomca
Level 1
Level 1

Just trying to see what kinds of ditances people are using these links at, as well as how high they have placed their antennas in order to achieve that distance? I think a small discrition of the equipment used would be helpful as well. We could use this as sort of a reference as to whats been done succesfully.

I have one link running over a 2.5 mile jump about 25 feet above and obstructions. Runs very well using the 340 series bridge and two 12dbi antenna's, with 20 feet of low loss cable on one end and about 80 feet on the other. Using it to run data and share internet access.

4 Replies 4

mmellet
Level 3
Level 3

abrahamj
Level 1
Level 1

We have several backup and primary RF links using the Aironet 340. We were holding out for the 350, but opted for more 340's in the face of the closing fiscal year. Our longest link (13 mi. +-) will be up soon. We have been using the Hyperlink's HG2424 (2.4 GHz) high performance 24dBi reflector grid antennas with low-loss cables for the longer shots, but Yagi's work well for the shorter distances. These units have been simple to install and work like a charm.

dsware
Level 1
Level 1

Doing something very similar myself. We are clearing about 4 miles with two Parabolic Dish antennas. We were lucky and had no obstructions and I simply mounted my antennas on two 6 foot poles. We have approx. 20 feet worth of cable on one and every inch of 100 feet on the other. The thing that amazed me so much was that it was going to cost use thousands and thousands of dollars for a T1 or to run fiber from another building. We had this up and running (- the amount of time for our electricians to build the pole with movable parts to adjust the antenna) in half a day) Simply amazing. But, back to the point, we did the same thing as you.

russ
Level 1
Level 1

One of our partner companies is extending the connection 25 mi using two 342 bridges and parabolic dishes with 3 - 5 MB connections... Wouldn't believe it, but I've seen then MRTG graphs.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card